VF users - how do you back up your data?

jfrog

uber-nerd
VF users - how do you back up your data?

I've got a VF08, w/o CDR, and back up to an external CDR via the S/PDIF outputs. That saves all the tracks, but it also sounds like it saves some other data at the start of the backup...there's the fax-like squeals of digital data.

But....

It's (apparently) not saving any song data...scene setups, EQ setting etc. (i.e., when I reload the song, the music is all there, but there is no setup info.)

How do you all back up your data?

saves

Does your save end up as a "DAT" file or as "WAV" files? Setup info is only saved with "DAT" files.

Paj
8^)

It ends up as CD audio files, which I believe are similar to WAV files. In any case, you can play the CD & listen to 2 tracks at a time.

I would think it would've been easy for Fostex to program the output so that all of the setup info is also backed up. There is obviously some digital info being passed to the CD, hence the squealing at the start of the backup. It's probably just timing info so that all of the tracks line up correctly when it's restored. (which they magically do)

On the VF80 and VF160, after getting into the SAVE program menu, there is the option to save as a backup or CD-DA (music CD). If you select backup you then have a choice of either FDMS3 or WAV formats. The FDMS3 is a Fostex proprietary system that does in fact save all settings along with the actual recorded sound. I don't know if the VF08 had this option, but FDMS3 is the only backup format that will record your settings (effects, levels, faders, pans, etc.)

Keep in mind the FDMS3 format cannot be read by PC's whereas the wavs can be.

Back