Vf 80 And Compressor

mrmope

I have a VF80 and want to know if I can use an external compressor, and if I can where in the chain can I use it?

Mr Mope - you'd put an external compressor in the chain between the pre-amp out (or other line level source) and the VF80 inputs. If you're using the VF's preamps on a mic and don't have an external one you would record a track dry, then play it back with the compressor's input hooked to the VF's out and then back in to a new channel you'd re-record it on (with the gain control all the way down this time).

Rob the VF's compressor only works on mixdown and is nowhere near as flexible as an external one.

compressor shcompressor

Okay, Garry. While I've got your ear, did you join me in "America the Beautiful" when I went a little nuts last week? If you didn't notice the thread, I finally finished a 6 track song and cut a CD. I'm famous now, but you can still call me "Rob" since we're pals.

But seriously folks (rimshot), when you use a preamp with the Fostex, do you turn the trim levels (which I guess run the Fostex's internal pres?) to zero? I hope the answer is yes, because something is very noisy in my recording, and I think it's because I have no external preamps and have to run the trim levels wide open on my dynamic mikes. I'm getting condensers and, depending on your answer, an external preamp.

Rob.

Rob

yes, the trim levels if you are using an external pre-amp would be on zero or close to.

You do have to crank the VF80's internal preamp quite a bit both with condensers and dynamics, if you are not using an external mic pre.

It would have been very gracious of Fostex if they could have made a compressor available when tracking. I'd gladly sacrifice some of the shitty guitar tones or other pre-sets to have that capability. :)

Tube

Rob - yeah, congrats on that. That means you now know more about the VF than I do ( I don't mixdown on it, just use it for tracking).

Tube - what you said. I wonder if Fostex appreciate the market for gimmick free, simple but high quality stand alones.

Back