vf-16 aux send

jbodner246

ARRR I NEED HELP! I just bought a behringer ultramizer to get good compression/limiting etc. I hooked it up to the aux out jack with a y cable like they say to do. I turned up all the aux levels to max in the vf-16. Now from what i understand this thing should loop thru the compressor/limiter, go back into the vf-16 and then i can master it from there with the effects ( like a loop ) this doesnt seem to be the case. I am also getting no signal on 1 of the channels input meters on the compressor. The compressor has 2 inputs and two outputs, maybe i need a w cable with 4 cables to one? i dont know . please help!

no takers on this one :(

well from my own research i have been told plugging into only one channel of the compressor is the right thing to do with a y cable. but i should have no bleed on the meters on the compressor. it should only read on the channel i plugged into. think its the cable or the compressor?

your aux sends are just that,....SENDS. You need to go from the outs of your comp back to one or two (stereo) inputs to make the hookup complete.

sends

the send and the return go thru the same jack. its a 2 ring trs jack . i used a y cable which splits a 2 ring ( trs ) into 1 send and one return. the loop is complete. I called musicians friend tech suppt. and they said its probably the compressor unit that broken and to return for exchange. i hope i dont get the new one and have the same problem. But the channels should not bLEED~! ARRR

Dont run your compressor through your aux send/returns. Get a TRS cable and run it into one of the two "insert" points.

As far as I understand it, this is how it works.

The two *insert* sockets are send/return. So you can use them to compress audio on its way into the Fostex via those two channels, using a splitter cable - or two splitter cables, if your source is stereo.

You can also use the aux sends to compress audio you have already recorded into the Fostex. However the aux send jack *isn't* a send/return - it's two sends, one from aux1, and one from aux2. Like calo says, you have to route back into another channel to record your new compressed track.

In other words, if you wanted to compress a stereo track you had already recorded, you'd have to turn up the aux1 send for the left channel and the aux2 send for the right channel, and connect the "stereo" aux send to the two input channels on yr compressor (using yr splitter lead) - then take the two outputs from the compressor and connect them back into the two new input channels on the Fostex where you wanted to record your compressed stereo track.

This would explain why you're only getting one channel input registering on the compressor.

gordon k

inserts

I think i may have misunderstood the trs jack. i thought 1 was return and one was send. So i have to copy it onto another track (now compressed ) before i mix down? uh oh. i only have one more blank track left! ...... just tried it. wow this compressor sounds no better than the one built in to the vf16. i guess i can use it thru when i record vocals or somethin!

Last edited:
aux sends

ok last post on this one. I called fostex. U r not supposed to use a compressor with the aux sends, only the insert jacks ( which limits the channels u can compress. They said that the aux send in the rear of the unit is only for things like ambient effects, choruses... etc... oh well

The aux send are sends... no returns....the stereo jack was cheap... 2 sends in one jack... If I am using sends once my warrenty runs out, I will drill another hole and place two mono jacks... rather than y-cable. To return you need to buss record back to another track. I don't know how you get any return into the jack... perhaps that is why your compression doesn't work...

We record the whole band through the VF-16 and my wife wants a monitor for her guitar... I run a send out to an amplifier which faces her and send her guitars track so she can hear it louder and separate from the PA mix.

I havent tried the y-cable to send two separate tracks to different amps... but am sure it will work... I'll let you know when I have to confirm what I am saying.

Jim

Back