Very strange gig, but had a great time.

rob aylestone

I got a request from a friend who lives in a one of the UK friendly villages. Places where everyone knows each other and they have a church hall where they do loads of community meals and dances - the kind of place where nobody locks their doors. A big Birthday party for an American who came for a holiday and stayed and is now officially British.

Could I do some music for the party, and play a few songs? They had a fella and his wife who sing and play the guitar. I tried to find out more but it was "you'll know the stuff - all popular" My attempts to find out what I was supposed to play as in instrument were vague. Anyway, I met up with the guy and his wife who sings too, and he had a list of 40 songs!

I looked at the list and figured just guitar and one other would be tricky as we didn't have a drummer, so one of the village folk said their son was a drummer..............? I held my hands up and said fine!

It turned out he was a great drummer and not fazed by no rehearsal and no idea of the style. Worse, many of the keys turned out to be the chords he was playing, but with a capo! Some were also the first chord or note, not the key - but we had great fun. At one point people came up and asked to sing. He said fine what do you want to sing - mama mia, and gilly gilly ossenfeffer katzenellenbogen by the sea!

electric piano, electric and double bass - used them all! I was amazed by how the entire community got involved AND I got paid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjTmXT58nk

electric piano, electric and double bass - used them all! I was amazed by how the entire community got involved AND I got paid!

I tried to play a double bass once just at a friend’s studio. I found it much more difficult than electric bass, not because of no frets but positioning myself comfortably so I could scale the neck. Salut!

I got a request from a friend who lives in a one of the UK friendly villages. Places where everyone knows each other and they have a church hall where they do loads of community meals and dances - the kind of place where nobody locks their doors. A big Birthday party for an American who came for a holiday and stayed and is now officially British.

Could I do some music for the party, and play a few songs? They had a fella and his wife who sing and play the guitar. I tried to find out more but it was "you'll know the stuff - all popular" My attempts to find out what I was supposed to play as in instrument were vague. Anyway, I met up with the guy and his wife who sings too, and he had a list of 40 songs!

I looked at the list and figured just guitar and one other would be tricky as we didn't have a drummer, so one of the village folk said their son was a drummer..............? I held my hands up and said fine!

It turned out he was a great drummer and not fazed by no rehearsal and no idea of the style. Worse, many of the keys turned out to be the chords he was playing, but with a capo! Some were also the first chord or note, not the key - but we had great fun. At one point people came up and asked to sing. He said fine what do you want to sing - mama mia, and gilly gilly ossenfeffer katzenellenbogen by the sea!

electric piano, electric and double bass - used them all! I was amazed by how the entire community got involved AND I got paid.
Sounds like a great time - glad you had fun!

Back