Very Specific Question

NegadivOne

Alchemy slut
Hey there I'm not sure if I'll be able to find an answer but I figured it's worth a try. I was looking on Ibanez's artist roster and I noticed that Greg Tribbett from Mudvayne uses a custom SZ320. I was just wondering if anyone knew what was custom about it, if it was just different pickups? I tried searching but couldn't find much. Also I'm thinking of buying either an SZ320 or 520 and I'll have some extra money left over so I was wondering what would be some good pickups to get to help achieve that sort of distortion sound. I know the amp plays a big part in the sound but I can't get a new amp now. Thanks :D

NegadivOne said:
Hey there I'm not sure if I'll be able to find an answer but I figured it's worth a try. I was looking on Ibanez's artist roster and I noticed that Greg Tribbett from Mudvayne uses a custom SZ320. I was just wondering if anyone knew what was custom about it, if it was just different pickups? I tried searching but couldn't find much. Also I'm thinking of buying either an SZ320 or 520 and I'll have some extra money left over so I was wondering what would be some good pickups to get to help achieve that sort of distortion sound. I know the amp plays a big part in the sound but I can't get a new amp now. Thanks :D

I have an SZ320, and all I can say is that the pickups are quite high-output as stock. It's a very kickass guitar for
the price. Unfortunately, the AMP is like 99% of the sound in the case you describe. Get a modeler like a POD and get as close as you can. The triple rec amps that those 'modern rock' guys play are mighty pricey.

guttapercha said:
I have an SZ320, and all I can say is that the pickups are quite high-output as stock. It's a very kickass guitar for
the price. Unfortunately, the AMP is like 99% of the sound in the case you describe. Get a modeler like a POD and get as close as you can. The triple rec amps that those 'modern rock' guys play are mighty pricey.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you have experience with RG's as well and could describe the differences or compare them for me??? :D I'm pretty sure I want a 320 or 520 but I can't seem to find any at the guitar shops around me and I don't want to order one online without knowing much about them...

NegadivOne said:
Awesome thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you have experience with RG's as well and could describe the differences or compare them for me??? :D I'm pretty sure I want a 320 or 520 but I can't seem to find any at the guitar shops around me and I don't want to order one online without knowing much about them...

That's understandable. I haven't played any of the RGs - actually it's kind of a fluke that I even got this 320 - I won it in a cutting contest! I don't even shred that hard, but I certainly outshredded the competition. Anyway, if you don't care for a whammy bar, and you are looking for a guitar that has a fast neck, great sustain, and is really comfortable to play, you simply can't lose with this 320.

What are you using for an amp anyway?

guttapercha said:
That's understandable. I haven't played any of the RGs - actually it's kind of a fluke that I even got this 320 - I won it in a cutting contest! I don't even shred that hard, but I certainly outshredded the competition. Anyway, if you don't care for a whammy bar, and you are looking for a guitar that has a fast neck, great sustain, and is really comfortable to play, you simply can't lose with this 320.

What are you using for an amp anyway?

haha that's awesome. Yeah, I've never used a whammy bar ever, and Im getting tired of the floating bridge on my RG. I'm just looking for something with a bit mellower tone that's still good for metal, and can handle drop c tuning. Well, I have a Line 6 spider amp but I'm not in a band and I never play live so I'm really just looking to get good tones for recording. I use a Line 6 guitarport for recording and I'm really happy with the sound, I just want to upgrade my guitar a bit (I've got a lower level RG).

NegadivOne said:
haha that's awesome. Yeah, I've never used a whammy bar ever, and Im getting tired of the floating bridge on my RG. I'm just looking for something with a bit mellower tone that's still good for metal, and can handle drop c tuning. Well, I have a Line 6 spider amp but I'm not in a band and I never play live so I'm really just looking to get good tones for recording. I use a Line 6 guitarport for recording and I'm really happy with the sound, I just want to upgrade my guitar a bit (I've got a lower level RG).

I think you'll be happy. Truth be told, I have a strat, and a vintage 335; they've been my mail axes for the past 14 years or so. The SZ has become my go-to instrument since I got it - really versatile, and incredibly easy to play.

Have fun,

JD

guttapercha said:
I think you'll be happy. Truth be told, I have a strat, and a vintage 335; they've been my mail axes for the past 14 years or so. The SZ has become my go-to instrument since I got it - really versatile, and incredibly easy to play.

Have fun,

JD

Awesome, thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

I have an Ibanez AR 300 with stock Ibanez 58s on it (not quite the same series) and for general hard rock they are kick ass pups. I'm not into metal but I think the 58s would work well for metal or heavy rock. I'm not sure but I think the artist series is available with these pups and a Gibrallta quick change tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge. I'm not sure who makes the machines for Ibanez but on both the artist and classic series they are quite smooth and have a good turn ratio. The only thing of a lower quality seems to be the plastic nut which is easily replaceable with bone. The RG series guitars have a good reputation and are designed more for speed playing. they have thinner necks (often maple) and a crisper tone. I replaced the stock pups on my RG 170 with DiMarzios which gave it a more "full body" sound, the stock pups were just a little twangy and shallow sounding to suit me.

Dani Pace said:
I replaced the stock pups on my RG 170 with DiMarzios which gave it a more "full body" sound, the stock pups were just a little twangy and shallow sounding to suit me.

Yes! that is exactly why im upgrading from my RG170. Which DiMarzios did you get?

NegadivOne said:
Yes! that is exactly why im upgrading from my RG170. Which DiMarzios did you get?

I replaced the neck pup with a DP 165, and the bridge pup with a DP 166. I left the stock single in the center (I rarely use it anyway.) The neck pup made the most difference, it has a lot more bottom end, sort of growls without getting muddy (the sound I was wanting) and the bridge pup has more bite. I didn't get any noticeable volume gain (I have amps for that) but the tone was/is deffinately worth the effort. If I remember correctly I paid about $170 for both pups, and they were easy to install.

Dani Pace said:
I replaced the neck pup with a DP 165, and the bridge pup with a DP 166. I left the stock single in the center (I rarely use it anyway.) The neck pup made the most difference, it has a lot more bottom end, sort of growls without getting muddy (the sound I was wanting) and the bridge pup has more bite. I didn't get any noticeable volume gain (I have amps for that) but the tone was/is deffinately worth the effort. If I remember correctly I paid about $170 for both pups, and they were easy to install.

Awesome thank you, I'll check those out. I'd give you more rep but it won't let me :o

Back