Very newbie question levels on two tracks

CamCoding

Am learning Reaper. Watching Kenny’s videos, and others.
Recorded my acoustic guitar with two different mics. Recorded on Zoom H6.
Have two tracks in Reaper.
How do I get the levels (loudness) the same? Want to hear the difference between the mics at the same levels.
If you can point me in a direction or answer here I will be very grateful!
Thanks much
Cam

Am learning Reaper. Watching Kenny’s videos, and others.
Recorded my acoustic guitar with two different mics. Recorded on Zoom H6.
Have two tracks in Reaper.
How do I get the levels (loudness) the same? Want to hear the difference between the mics at the same levels.
If you can point me in a direction or answer here I will be very grateful!
Thanks much
Cam
Put a Loudness and Peak meter (or meters) on the tracks and adjust the fader or use a Gain plugin of some type to level them is what I'd do. If they're really different, there's probably a track/region Gain setting you can change to get them in the same ballpark. (I'm not a Reaper user.)

two different mics.
Have two tracks in Reaper. ..

This seems to say it's one track and fader for each mic -yes?
Is one is so weak you can't raise it enough?

Or is it actually both on a stereo -dual waves- on one track and fader?

Reaper's basic normalize function is a peak normallize - just adds enough gain (in Item Properties, if you ever want to see/change it) to bring the loudest peak up to 0dbFS. Unless you bumped one of the mics, that'll probably get you close enough. Better would be if you have SWS extensions installed and use one of the loudness/LUFS/RMS normalize actions. These will use one or another method to find the average level of the item and then add enough gain (or attenuation, but still in Item Properties) to get it to whatever level. This way even if one IS for some reason more dynamic than the other, they will still average about the same. That's going to be about the closest you're going to get to "level matched" until and unless you squash the fuck out of them so that you know they pretty much have to have the same dynamic range, and then you can just go back to peak normalize.

Back