(very) high mic stands

Havoc

Borderline topic, but definitely microphone related.

I'm searching for a high (5m-10m) microphone stand. Stable enough to hold 2 mics on a stereo bar, but it does not need to be earthquake proof, it will be used inside on a tiled floor mostly. If it would fold up nicely to fit in a normal car without help of a hacksaw and can be transported without a forklift then it would be perfect.

The reason is for recording some organs, and it helps if you get a bit at their level. I have seen some used by broadcasting organisations, but they looked in-house made. Most I find on the net are a bit short or are for lightning use, complete with wheels etc. It needs to be simple, it is not for extensive use.

I think you're going to have a really hard time finding something like that. I've been searching for a portable stand that can go up 10' (what's that, about 3 meters?) for recording a choir and there's very little out there.

I'll be following this post closely...hope someone has an answer for us!

You may have to get hanging mic cables, like are used above church choirs... a stand that tall would be very unstable though.

10 meters?

Find some scaffolding and place a regular mic stand on top of it at the desired height.

Probably cheaper than finding a mic stand that big. (assuming you could even find one!)

I think your best bet will be with high quality photographic light stands, like those made by Manfrotto. Their big ones are in that height range, and they are designed to support stuff that is heavier than a couple of mics. I am sure you can get adapters for mics or whatever stereo rig you have. In many cities you can rent this gear.

The Churn - giving world music the beating it deserves

Here's the Grail of mic stands.

Bring LOTS of $$$!

http://www.wesdooley.com/aea/Modular_Microphone_Stands.html

He's showing a stand that will go to 40 feet. 13-feet of stand, and a 29-foot boom!

Can't you just mic the organ from the balcony or something? Some of the best bootleg Dead/Phil shows I have were done from the front row of the balcony..............

Last edited:
Chip Hitchens said:
I think you're going to have a really hard time finding something like that. I've been searching for a portable stand that can go up 10' (what's that, about 3 meters?) for recording a choir and there's very little out there.

I'll be following this post closely...hope someone has an answer for us!

K&M has a stand/boom combo that will go to 10 feet.

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/standsaudio/km/micstands.html

5m- easy 10m- not easy. I've done 15' with On Stage SB96+. That's $80 at 8th street. For 10m. talk to Atlas Inc. and expect your credit card to cause you pain.-Richie

You may have to get hanging mic cables, like are used above church choirs... a stand that tall would be very unstable though.

This might be done, but only if you can plan it long enough on advance. Sadly not always possible. Stablity is not a problem, as there is mostly no-one around (or those around know to behave) when I record. Says something about the program I guess ;)

Can't you just mic the organ from the balcony or something?

If it is in a concert room, maybe, depending on the acoustics. Organs need to be captured quite close or it swims in the echo. Forget it in churches, the organ is (on) the balcony.

I think your best bet will be with high quality photographic light stands, like those made by Manfrotto.

Never tought about it, but you are right! Thanks for that tip. Took a look on their site, and they have usable stuff. Like 4m stands that can carry 29kg while they only weigh 7kg. This seems to be the limit for easy transportable ones (up to 8m but then you need a van and help). And they even have a 3 microphone arm! Shopping to do.

ouch!

I appreciate your situation...did a school concert band set up a while back. I used a series of stands on the floor (bad idea btw!!!...kids are really into tapping their feet). The facility didn't lend it's self to much more and, time was not on my side.

Back