Very amateur work, need advice!

gema

I just recorded a song for my own band and honestly, I think it sounds pretty ugly. Not pretty, very ugly.

Here's the set up. I'm using a Alesis 8USB mixer.

Guitar : Direct input through AX300G guitar multi processor.
Bass : Direct to mono input.
Vocals : Direct XLR to mixer ; SM58.
Drums : Fruity Loops with FPC samples.

I really need the some advice. Thanks!

to be honest, if i was to give you a list in detail of all i think is wrong with this recording (and with what's on it) this page would not be long enough and you would be scrolling all the way to tokyo.

however : another way to look at it is to say that there is tremendous power, rock and roll, angst, ... coming from this recording and that all the rest are technicalities. this rocks in a 'first ever sex pistols rehearsel' kind of way! i'm partly an underground/noise(rock) kind of guy so i really dig this!

i'm not going into the playing but as far as the recording is concerned i think your biggest concerns are taming the low end because that's where your instruments are colliding and giving a better stereo spread, everything seems to be in the middle pretty much closing the sound.
are there any room/echo/reverb effects on the tracks? if there are, the timing might be wrong.

rock on!

the king is gone but he's not forgotten!

Thanks alot, for the playing, I know its not really up to standard and I'm going to really give any excuse, we are not really serious. This is just a test fire of my new mixer.

Yes, there are a few reverb effects, its on the two guitars and the vocals.

So today I took the time to mix the new as I still have the raw tracks.

I will upload them soon! Thank you very much for the advice faderbug, you rock on too!

EDIT : This is the new mix , I think a few things had improved, but I still need advice :D

Thanks again for those who replied in the thread, very very much :o

Last edited:
drumsounds are almost sufficient, leave the bass-sounds to bass, give some middle to guitars, keep the highs.. tune the guitars. pan guitars to left and right.. ..I'd start like that.. ..if the other guitar is supposed to be louder than other, pan the bass slightly to compensate.. there's a lot to tame in there. :D

:D Thanks!

I panned the guitar in the new mix. And the right guitar are supposed to be louder.

Thanks alot Jouni! I'll try to do a better mix the next time I'm recording. :D Thanks again!

Back