Versatile mic suite...

Docaroo

Hello there...

I'm looking to buy maybe 4/5 mics that I can use for recording my bands demo...

Basically, I will need them for Drum recording, Guitar amp micing and vocal recording - each done seperately though! :)

So, I think I need a pair of condensers for Drum overheads, something for the snare and something for bass, anything else?

Also I'd need a dynamic mic for the guitar amp - and could I also use the condensers to broaden the guitar sound (have them positioned farther away?).

We are trying to keep the price down if possible - all help greatly appreciated :)

You'll also want a mic for vocals. A large diaphragm condenser of some sort would be good.

The snare mic can usually double for guitar cabinets (like a shure sm57).

On a budget, Studio Projects, Audio Technica, and MXL all have some decent offerings in condenser mics for both overheads and vocals. The "Search" function on the BBS top bar will lead you to literally hundreds of opinions on mics in your budget.

snare mics: Beyer M201, Shure SM57

Kick/Bass: AKG D112, Shure Beta 52...if you're recording bass guitar get a good DI and go direct - I recommend the Radial JDI

Guitar Cabs: Senn. e609 and MD421, Shure SM57

Overheads/acoustic: SDC's- Oktava MK012, MXL
LDC's - AT 4033...

Vocal's need an LDC...I've liked the Studio Projects C1 and the AT 4040 I picked up for doing a demo a year ago.

You really should have searched - people ask this question it seems like everyday.

If I could only buy 5 I would get the D112, a 57, an MD421 and two LDC's to use as overheads and vocal mics. Alternately, get the D112, a 57, and LDC and two SDC's for overheads/acoustics

Jacob

sorry for not searching first, i'm kinda ask first search later kinda guy lol - much appreciated ppl, that helps greatly!

An SM-7 can be used quite well for vocals, acoustic guitar and cabs. Snare - SM-57 or Beyer M201 (both usable on cabs). Kick - lots of choices AT ATM-25, AKG D112, Audix D6. if you spend more money and get an RE-20, you can use it for kick, bass (with or without DIing your bass) vocals, horns, cabs, toms etc. Toms - Sennheiser MD421, Audix D4. A pair of SD condensors for overheads and acoustic guitars - lots of choice do a search. An LD condensor if you want for vocals although both the RE-20 and SM7 will do just fine too.

many thanks pohaku!

I should probably say that the music is Power Metal (if that helps with mic choices) - which means heavy distortion - guitar sounds are TOTAL top priority (eg Iced Earth, Dragonforce) and drumming is fast (double kick, etc - see Dragonforce), bass - no problem i can DI this as I dont have a bass amp lol... Vocals, our singer has a high range and powerful voice if this impacts mic choice!

Budget - not sure but i'd like to keep it low so I can nab myself a Firepod and probably some studio monitors too!

Since im recording everything seperate the mics would be best with interchangable uses...

What i know I need is a condeser pair as overheads on drums (i can also use these as "far away mics" for guitars i think?), a dynamic eg SM57 for on-grill cab mic and snare?

Something for bass drum and something for vocals! But will prob be doing some acoustic things aswell so I might use 2 condesers, room mic, soundhole mic (sm57) and the output from the acoustic pups aswell lol!

Hence why I am recording all seperately lol... thanks so much for the input though!

Back