Venus and Mars

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was just outside and noticed a very bright light in the western night sky, and above to the left another smaller, slightly dimmer bright light. I thought it was unusual to see both at the same time, so I looked them up. Near as I can figure, the very bright light is Venus and the other is Mars. Then I immediately thought back to Wings' song Venus and Mars. They're supposed to be even brighter tomorrow night.

If you check early in the morning before sunrise you will see Venus rising in the East. Last year there
were all five visible planets lined up to view. Sirius is the brightest star in the sky, anything brighter and it's
a planet.
Look what we did to poor Venus before we were forced to leave. Here we are doing it again but there
won't be any planet hopping this time around.

I thought when all the planets aligned it would suck all the water off Earth. I saw this yesterday. . . looks scary. . . who knows.

hot.jpg

Venus is striking sometimes.
Because it's an inferior planet you can see its phases, just like the moon, in binoculars or a small scope.
Of course full/new aren't really possible because the Sun is either in front of it, or behind it.

Venus002.jpg

I'm not much on astronomy, but as I've sat on my porch at night through the early summer there is a "star"(or planet of course) seemingly always approx in the same spot. I'm thinking, northwest maybe? It bugs me. One of these days I may have to break out the telescope that was given to me and sort out what the heck it is. Or do I want to know.

Ha! I didn't know you could do that, online compass. The very shiney bit in the sky is pretty much due west. At times the only shiney bit when things are a bit cloudy/hazy. I don't like it, it bugs me.

I thought when all the planets aligned it would suck all the water off Earth. I saw this yesterday. . . looks scary. . . who knows.

View attachment 131145
The five planet alignment last year was visible for over two months. I saw them every clear night. The moon would go through its cycles along with them so it was a good show. I used to hitchike all over the country and had nothing better to do at night than study the stars.

In my pre-teens, I spent many summer nights laying on my back in the front yard watching the stars. No light pollution to speak of, even though the area was heavily populated. The night skies over Maryland were filled with stars. Here in Florida, all I see are a couple of bright planets and the moon. Probably due to heavy light pollution. I'd really like to go somewhere - out in the desert probably - where I can see the galaxy's disc.

Light pollution is a big problem everywhere, "but if that's progress I guess it's alright."

I'm not much on astronomy, but as I've sat on my porch at night through the early summer there is a "star"(or planet of course) seemingly always approx in the same spot. I'm thinking, northwest maybe? It bugs me. One of these days I may have to break out the telescope that was given to me and sort out what the heck it is. Or do I want to know.
If you have a smartphone you can get skyview or something and see what it is. (y)

Back