Vegas v. Wavelab

mayan

Any sentiment concerning which program? Do they offer different features? Is one more comprehensive than the other? TIA.

Your sorta comparing apples and oranges here.

Wavelab is designed for working on stereo wav files, editing etc, might even call it (or use it) as a "mastering" tool.

Vegas is a multi-tracker, the program used to create the final stereo wav file.

A better comparison might be Wavelab and SoundForge. I've used Soundforge for a long time, but if they don't get a 24Bit version soon, it's going in the trash.

Havn't tried Wavelab, but it seems to get good reviews(and it supports 24Bit) Think Sonusman uses Wavelab, he might have some better info on it.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 05-31-2000).]

I like Wavelab 3.0 a lot. It is fairly easy to use, and the learn.

It also will use VST and DirectX plug's without any special wrapper app to run the VST's. I have found that the VST plug's are more stable for some reason.

You can author your finale Red Book Standard CD with it (only in DAO mode, which is cool).

The plug's that come with it are really pretty damn good if you can't afford the better plug's.

Emeric is right though, they are two different app's altogether really.

Ed

Hmmm...I thought I knew stuff but I guess I don't...must be why I chose the Newbie forum. I'm still not quite getting it...You can record into both programs; apply effects and processing in both programs. I guess I see the overlap but not the apples and oranges stuff quite yet.
Maybe I'm not clear as to the use of a multi-tracker as opposed to an editor/masterer. Can one not work with multiple tracks in Wavelab 3.0?

With a multitracker, you record one, two, 8 or however many inputs you can handle at a time. These all result in individual tracks that you have volume control, panning, effects, EQ control over.

As well, you can keep adding tracks, up to however many your computer system can handle before bogging down.

Once finished with the song, all levels for each track, panning, FX, EQ etc. are set, this can than be mixed down to a stereo wav file consisting of all the individual tracks.

This is a where a wav editor comes in - i.e. Wavelab, Soundforge, Goldwave.

Which the wav editor you can chop off noise at the start of the song, do fade outs at the end, do further eq'ing, compression etc..

With this wav file, you can than burn it to your CDRW and call it a day.

Wavelab, Soundforge and like will work with multiple 2-track stereo wav files opened, but not more than 2 tracks can be playing back or recording at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Not to belabor the point but in looking at a recent Electronic Musician article the haze of confusion began to gather again. The article states that Wavelab 3.0 actually has serious multi-track capabilities via the "audio montage" window. If this is true, is it still apples/oranges with Vegas or are there still important functional differences?

My plan would be to use a program - if possible- for both composition and mixing/mastering (not that I know my ass from my elbow). TIA.

That audio montage thing is a bit confusing, after reading the brochure on Steinberg's site i'm not sure that I understand it, but...

Hopefully Ed or someone who uses Wavelab can clarify any of the following if I'm way off base.

Things you can do with Vegas, that you cannot do with Wavelab:

- Plug four Mic's into your multiinput sound card, select 4 tracks in Vegas, and record them all at the same time. Resulting in 4 tracks that can be heard and controlled individually.
- Keep adding tracks and still maintaing control over all of them.

Things you can do in Wavelab but not Vegas:

- Edit out parts of audio, i.e. talking at the start of a track, noisy amplifiers etc.
- sure their are other things

Anyway, they are two very different programs, both with a unique purpose.

Elaborate on what it is you want to accomplish and maybe I can offer some more info.

- I don't think you can record more than 1 stereo track at a time in Wavelab.
- I'm not sure on this one, but I don't think you can playback more than 1 stereo track in Wavelab, but maybe with this Montage thing you can, but again this is strickly for editing purposes, crossfades etc.

Thanx for your reply, Emeric...very helpful. What do I want? Good question. I'm currently working with Cakewalk ProAud 9. Almost all of my stuff is MIDI and audio samples. I have no plans - at this time - for recording bands. Rather, I want to be able to work with multi-tracks of audio, ported from Cakewalk, so that I can apply effects and processing and ultimately mix 'em down for CD burning. I know that I can do much of this in Cakewalk but not sure if it is a comfortable audio environment for me...although that may be my fault and not that of the program. It sounds like Wavelab fits more of the bill, if the audio montage allows multi-tracks. But, I still may not be getting it.

Back