Vcr?

darrin_h2000 said:
[B THe quality should be the same If you use a good deck. [/B]
Sorry... no... HiFi VHS uses FM modulation to record audio - the quality is better than cassette, but is not digital, nor even close.

Also, it is notorius for low-level noise surrounding transient signals - try recording a shaker alone to hifi vhs - you will hear all kinds of smearing of the signal.

It is not considered a professional mixdown format in any way... it is a way to get reasonable sound on a home-rec budget.

Bruce

He gets a year older and thinks he knows something about sound....:D

Happy Birthday......

heh-heh... thanks Gidge....

It is time for me to pick my age, I think.... I choose 29 - yup, that's a good age - not quite 30, but late enough in the 20s to be taken seriously.... from now on, I'll always be 29 years old.

Dragon - better change that calendar feature to accommodate that!!! :D

:D :D

Bruce

Thanks guys.... :)

And Darrin - yes, you are correct, the ADAT is designed on the SVHS mechanism, although the recording format is not.

Bruce

I think I remember seeing a teac or akai multitracker machine durring the late eighties that used a beta tape and had 12 track capability. Anyone remember that product.

Yes, I remember it - Akai made it, can't remember the name though....

I don't recall it being taken too seriously though.

Bruce

I have read that Jimmy Page had used the Akai 12 track to do the
demos for the Coverdale /Page album..And ended up useing alot of the demo tracks for the finished album...It was a while ago so I could be wrong.

Don
P.S ..Happy Birthday

Ah... found it... the Akai MG1212.... the specs on it were pretty decent - 96db signal-to-noise...

I guess it was pretty much relegated to the more serious home market, although from its spec, it could have easily outperformed the 8-track analog reel-to-reel that was out at the time.

It was a nice looking unit too...

Bruce

I had a friend who had one of those Akai units...and it was actually pretty good. Had the mixer built in, as you know, and was the grand slam of portable multitrackers at the time. Costing around $3K at the time made it a bit more costly than just the reel to reels, but figure it had the mixer to make up the price differences......well...I paid a truckload for my Tascam 8 track and DBX units at the time, too....

Getting back to VCRs...

For those who don't have a DAT deck, I think a VCR can be a pretty decent (and cheap!) way to record (non-critical) live gigs, or practices. Pretty portable and if you drop it or something its not the end of the world. I record most of my band practices on my DAW now, but the nice thing about when I used a VCR was I could just set it up, hit record, and then forget about it for two hours. Now I have to manuver the damn mouse while I'm holding my guitar, constantly moving between the computer and my vocal mic. Kind of a pain.

Back