VC6Q vs Focusrite

Hey PG13! Kool handle!

I clicked on that link and it didn't work. What Focusrite are you talking about, because I own a Penta, and so I could probably help you with some info about that.

cominginsecond, how is that penta?

we (my band) have a vc6q and an omni i/o (delta 66 with dmp2 preamps), and I've been looking at the penta recently for a future purchase..... how's it stack up?

VotaIdiota-

I can't compare the Penta to the VC3Q, because I haven't used one yet. However, it's very noticably smoother and warmer than my Blue Tube, and the opto-compressor on the Penta is great. I'm sure it's very similar to the VC3Q compressor. Plus, the penta has a tube emulator circuit that is nice, as well as a stereoizer effect that comes in quite hand at times. I haven't regretted one bit buying that piece. I posted some acoustic and vocal clips using just the preamp, not any of the other features, at this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42933

my vote goes for holding onto your money for a little longer and get a piece of gear that you wont outgrow in five years. I think you should get a pre that you'll keep with you for the long haul, an investment. so maybe you wont have a pre for another 6 months but you should definitely check out the Langevin DVC. It's 2 channels, with a great limiter and eq for around $1500. Its a pro piece of gear at an unbelieveably good price. Its made by manley and worth every penny. On a lighter note, check into the Grace 101 for 600 dollars, its gotten pretty good reviews...

Stay away from the penta stuff, its not that great. if your gonna get a focusrite at least wait till you can invest in the red series.

you'll be happier in the long run and next year you wont be on here asking about which pre you should get next.

PG13, actually the "warmth" of the Joe Meek VC6Q comes from the optical compression unit, and the EQ section, rather than the (decent) mic pre.
Keep in mind you can always set the Meek's pre at unity gain and run a different
mic pre into it (you can run XLR balanced in BTW!) down the road.
I picked up a VCQ6 for $199 at the Guitar Center "blow-out' so it was a no-brainer
to get it. Very nice channel strip with a lot of character if you like 60's style sounds.
Even at around $300 it's still a heck of a bargain!

just be careful how much color you want.....

like the manual says, it's easy to add 12 or more db gain reduction without knowing it.
:eek:

Back