VARIABLE bit rate

studioviols

A discussion of VBR.

definition - Variable Bit Rate is an MP3 endoding scheme that vary's the number of bits of data, (more bits versus fewer bits), used to encode a specific time unit of an MP3.

For Example :

If in my soundfile, I have 5 seconds of violin playing the same note and holding that note across those 5 seconds, far fewer bits of data will be used to represent that 'noise' in the file, than 5 seconds of full orchestra with 2 guitars and a choir.

If I set the VBR rate low, the 5 seconds of violin playing may take, (a rough estimate), 40k bits, (NOT BYTES), to be represented in the file, whereas if I set the VBR high, the violin would take far less, perhaps approximately 12k bits.

Whereas the 5 seconds of full orchsestra, guitars and such would take perhaps 150k bits if I set VBR at a high level, and perhaps 30k if I set VBR at a low level.

And in contrast to all of that, if I used NO VBR, and set the bit rate as constant, then both 5 second section would use the same amount of bits.

I have noticed in user statistics from some sites that I host my MP3's on that MP3's at greater than 192kbps have a far lower incidence of successful streaming to completion than those saved at 128kbps and lower. I see this in statistics represented by a user who begins to stream, and then 5 seconds later streams again, I am assuming the stream cut out and they are attempting the stream once again.

ALSO

I have noticed that streams where the encoding is done with a very high VBR or 'Variable Bit Rate' cut out more often than any, and

ALSO

Microsft's Windows Media Player exhibits some clicks, snags and gurgles during playback for MP3 encoded with VBR, the higher the VBR the worse the playback.

I am playing back on a dual processor machine with very fast drives and still, nastyness ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARE YOU HAVING PROBLEMS WITH VBR and if so ... what kind o' probs ? Local problems ? Streaming problems ? both ?

Do you believe VBR rate setting tweaking during MP3 conversion can preserve high end of the violin in the above scenario ? Or would it be worse, and the encoding scheme attempted to use as few bits as possible for that section of relatively less complex sound, thus sacrificing from the high end first anywayzzzz ... ?

So far I haven't experienced any problems with VBR encoding. I actually prefer it to a constant at the same bitrate. I find that I can get comparable sound quality at lower overall bitrates with VBR vs. constant. My music collection includes everything from metal to jazz to classical.

I have streamed my own VBR mp3's off NoWhere with no failures. I use iTunes on a hot-rodded Mac 8600 with OS 9.1. My encoding settings are 160kbps min. VBR highest quality, 44.1, normal stereo. I don't enable smart coding adjustments or high-pass filtering.

VBR typically will not stream with WMP, and rarely through WMS. DLAPB is shaky at best.

Download and playback on most players is functional, but not all codecs support VBR to it's full ability.

Generally, VBR for getting 'heard' will lower your chances of getting heard. VBR for collab, etc., is okay.

W.

M. Brane :
Excellent Feedback thank you very much. Sounds like you are doing well in the land of Mac n' Apples ... And of course there is lot good about less file size while maintaining the quality that a little bit bigger file size might afford with CBR or 'Constant Bit Rate' encoding.

TheRealWaldo :
'Getting Heard' this is the most applicable to our current whereabouts in all this virtual muck out here, I think it's best to stream lightly and carry a constant bit ... :D
And I'm thinking MS is intentionally fudging support on streaming VBR so as to increase the value of the WMA file encoding technology.

And now I'm wondering, as we look at a file playing back in Windows Media Player, is the bit rate we see displayed while a file encoded under the VBR compression scheme ... is that bit rate then the highest bit rate that occurs at any one point in the audio file ?

And I have seen notations of bit rate when discussing VBR, notations that indicate a 'range of bit rate' within an audio file ...

Hey SV,
...sorry, i cant help ya with the techie stuff. If i cant fix it with a nail gun and a crescent wrench, it goes to someone with a finer touch:) ...... I have had problems like those mentioned w/ VBR however. And, as mentioned above, I think its important not to goose the vbr too hard. When i convert to mp3, i run at 256 with a "medium" setting on the CDXtractor (thats the one i use btw.....). It uses the Lame encoder which is also important. The "medium" setting controls (at least to my understanding) the variable curve of the vbr. I have found that when i push this curve too hard toward the upper end, i start to get more evidence of artifacts, and unstability.

........Alot of folks in here use vbr, so im sure you'll find out just what you need to know.
:)

i have no scientific evidence here but i've found that i like the sound of fraunhoffer (sp?) CBR much better than LAME VBR. so lately I've been encoding my own things at 192+ Fraunhoffer CBR.

Although I do encode most of the CD's from my personal music library in Windows Media VBR at the highest available rates. It's just easier.

so that doesn't really help at all i'm sure. the more i listen the more i like wave files. mp3 always does something that just doesn't sound the same as a wave file. i know that sounds stupid but i notice it.

and 128 CBR mp3 always sounds like shit to me. that's why i won't sign up for any of the music download services cause the best you get is 128. if they would offer to download wave files, i'd be all over it. i'd pay them 99 cents per wave file all day long.

Back