Valves/tubes

jasonm

I'm thinking of putting new valves in my Laney LC15 but don't really know where to start with getting a better sound. Not sure of what valves are in it at the moment but its the factory ones. As it is the amp makes very dirty driven sounds with the gain cranked up (which I like but its not exactly practical all the time) but fairly bland clean tones with the volume cranked (then using the gain control for volume), and I can't really get it to a point where it starts breaking up nicely from clean to dirtyness given the right amount of attack - how I like to use an amp (got an Orange AC15, does it a treat). I might just sell the Laney and get a 15W Fender like a Bluesjunior or something which'll give me what I want, but I'm curious to know whether I can improve the Laney.
Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks

This sorta question has been posted many times and the general response is this: changing tube brands might acount for maybe 5 or 10% of your sound. Meaning, if you don't like your sound now, new tubes aren't gonna save you.

Go to www.eurotubes.com they are the best tubes for the best price. The guy that runs the place is very helpful. IF your tubes are old, they will be mushy and not have any attack. Did this amp ever sound right to you? It might not be your cup of tea.

It's not that I don't like the sound, it's a great little amp; just curious as to what difference can be made - always worth looking into this sort of thing! Never really had an abundance of valves lying around to experiment with :).

How old is the amp? Has it been played a lot? Maybe it is simply time for new tubes. If the power tubes are old and have many hours of loud playing on them, new tubes will make a world of difference, regardless of whether or not you change brands.

Back