Value of LoCut filter on mics?

jhughs

This may be a dumb question, but what's the value of a low-cut filter switch on a microphone? Seems like you could just record the full range and then use an equalizer to reduce the lower frequencies as needed.

To reduce proximity effect, or to filter out any low rumbling that may be in the room you're using it in. IMO it's better to use placement before reaching for the eq.

Depends how much of your headroom you want taken up by low frequencies. By which I mean ... record the whole lot if you like ... but if you can filter some worthless crap out at the start, it saves you actually recording said crap and having to shelve it later.

jhughs said:
This may be a dumb question, but what's the value of a low-cut filter switch on a microphone? Seems like you could just record the full range and then use an equalizer to reduce the lower frequencies as needed.
I wish it was that easy... and up to a point you could... but it's not that easy and doesn't work as well as dealing with the problem directly.

and adding to what Mad said... (Hi bro :) )
MadAudio said:
To reduce proximity effect, or to filter out any low rumbling that may be in the room you're using it in. IMO it's better to use placement before reaching for the eq.
"to filter out any low rumbling that may be in the room you're using it in. IMO it's better to use placement before reaching for the eq."

Or better yet... fix the the room first. :)

I'm in the process of building the perfect acoustic room for me right now... I can't wait... it's going to be so kool. :)

Last edited:
Ditto the answers so far. The idea is to get the cleanest signal as possible as early in the signal chain as possible. The chain actually begins with the current at the wall socket (filters are meaningful), to the phantom power, to the mic and so on. The fewer unnecessary sonics in the signal chain the better. So even if you have a low cut filter on the mixer, if you need one, use it on the mic first.

Back