[v1.0] Drawback to Discourse

Grape

Alright everyone! I need your ears =]

http://www.box.net/shared/f85lgnitl0

My first mix of this song. It's untitled, band name's Drawback to Discourse.

Feel free to give a respectful opinion about the song itself, and it's sound quality.

I'd really like some imput on the vocals and drums, they were the more troublesome for me :cool:

Thanks a ton,
<33 Grape

it all sounds very muddy. the vocals and guitars could definitely use a high pass filter or just some negative eq in the low frequencies. drums are just up the center. is it possible the way you recorded it to get a more stereo spread? if not the drums are the weak point in this recording and it's a shame because the performance is pretty good. i think the kit may not be miced properly. oh yeah where's the bass? turn up the bass ALOT. bass and drums drive a rock song and this recording is really lacking in both.

as far the music goes. i really don't like this genre of music at all. sorry.

I think you have captured that modern rock sound quite well. I am listening on small computer speakers here at work so take any of the following with the appropriate grain of salt: To me the tone of the vocals sound appropriate for the genre but on these computer speakers they may be just a bit upfront in the mix. Just my humble opinion.

I'm listening on studeo monitors/headphones. My2c:

I tought it was a cover of "#1 With a Bullet" There are parts of the melody that are verbatim, I think....and the qualities of the guitar parts are real close, IIRC. And the singer sounds just like the guy on that record. Not a bad thing! But that was impression #1

Yes...bass. Up.

There's a few breakdowns. What they have in common is that the feature instrument of the moment [little figures] is not brought center and/or lifted to feature level. The breakdowns sound vacant...and with the lack of punch, noted above, the psychological effect I got was that the band was vamping while the singer drank some water and cleared his throat.

I like the tune, and the effective play in the pan...gear-mesh, and such. I have no other nits.....except that it's a little long for the content. Another part...different texture...acoustic breakdown or something, with a contrasting melodic invention...would sustain interest. For next time?

I don't know a lot about recording. Just that the fabric is textureless when all the stuff plays together. Compression overmuch? Don't 'reach out' as much as some recordings. But it's real good!

Nice job. The vocals sound a little muffled. Did you cut the top end for some reason? They need a little more top end, as well as a little boost in general. It was hard to hear and understand them, so I think if you give them a little volume and a little top end you should be doing well. On second thought, it may just be that the guitar overpowers the rest of the mix. So boost everything else, or drop the guitar. Overall, it was well performed, and should be sounding great once you tweak the mix a little.

Hey guys, thanks a ton for the feedback.

Well, right now I'm trying to make the drums stick out better but it's a pain in the ass.

I recorded the overhead mic and the snare mic through the same track because I can only record two tracks at once and I needed to have the kick on a separate track.

And I'm having a hard time making everything come out clear (thus the muddiness).

This song is still in the works.

Thanks again for the replies,
<33 Grape

Great energy. I imagine it's a great band to watch play.

Tight guitar work, too. All of the technical aspects of the genre are there.

Couple of little spots where the drums aren't perfectly in time with the guitars. The doubled vocals accentuate this problem when it occurs. I'm saying this in the context of this being a very tight song and a difficult song to keep tight. Props.

Kick drum sounds a little woolly. If it were me I'd layer more guitars.

Also, this song sounds like it has two modes; loud and very loud. I think some real dynamics could move this song into classic territory by drawing more attention to the vocal.

3rd version up!!! Same link!!

p.s. I lost a shitload of quality either from compressing it into mp3 or because Box.net's music player isn't all that great. o_O

Try Downloading <33

it definitely sounds less muddy but there's no low end. i think the bass should be booming its way along driving the song and i don't hear it all. Drums sound better. but it sounds like its clipping? or maybe bad quality playback? but i've heard other songs with this player and they sound fine. i don't know. definitely getting better though.

I though that i was listening "Fall Out Boy", great vocals. The intro seems that you tried to double the guitars, if that what you try to do, to me they seem to be unsynchronized in some specific points, you could improve that.

I would like to watch your band live. Great energy!!

Keep Rocking

I listened again.

There's a 'clacking' sound accompanying the bass drum...like you tried to make 'slap'. I have HF hearing loss...and it still sounds like someone spanking sticks in time with the BD.

My respectful opinion is that you should load all your original, unf**ked tracks...if you kept them, and start over...after a break of some weeks working with something new. Seems like you've reached the point where objectivity is lost, and your brain needs a recalculating break. Then proceed to please yourself with the mix and sounds. :^)

"Feel free to give a respectful opinion about the song itself, and it's sound quality."
& what makes you think
a) we wouldn't &
b) you earned it?

The drawback to discourse
is the presumption of place
in conversation and space
taken without grace
without precedent or trace.

With respect may I offer:
The bass is bombastic - it needs tightening & some definition.
The general mix is quite mid muddy - can you do some EQ carving so that there's not so much overlapping?
The solo needs a boost.
The vocals are pretty good.
As a unit it does sound fairly cohesive and is a very generic radio rock sound.
Good ending...?

"Feel free to give a respectful opinion about the song itself, and it's sound quality."
& what makes you think
a) we wouldn't &
b) you earned it?

lol you're one of those people i see =PP

but thanks a ton for the help man, I forgot about the overlap vs separate concept. it'll come in handy!

<33

Song's pretty good, as is the voice.
My nits: some timing issues here and there. The mix sounds a bit distorted to me and lacks some definition. Overuse of compression? Take Ray's advice and review the EQ in each track individually. I think the song deserves a better production, don't you think? :)

Back