V.i.p.

Simon Fanta

Hi guys,

I am really curious what you think about my latest mix.

All recorded and mixed in my home-studio. The song is pop with some hip hop influences, but listen for yourself:

https://soundcloud.com/simonfanta/vip

I am looking forward to any feedback and suggestions for the song as well as the mix.

Thanks,
Simon

Hey vip the mix seems pretty bass heavy to me, bringing down the levels on bass/kick would help open things up I think. I think some the chorus vocal could use some leveling out (automation and/or compression) and it seems like the vocal overall could use a little less under like 500hz or so? The little flourishes here and there are great, they're a little loud in my headphones though, maybe review those levels.

Love the production on this man, nice work. . .

All recorded and mixed in my home-studio.

Cool! What instruments did you play on this?

As far as the mix, there's a build up of low mids on everything including the vocals. Makes the whole mix lack sheen and definition.

Thanks for your feedback.
I should be able to take care of the low mids, vocals and bass problem, althouth I am not the most experienced person when it comes to mixing.
I am thinking about hiring a mixing engineer for this, but I don’t know if the song is worth the investment – so feel free to voice your opinion about that as well.

As for the instruments I used:
NI Massive
NI Battery
Spectrasonics Trilian for the Bass
NI Komplete 5 – Horns, Organ, Choir, Piano, Guitar, Evolve Mutations,
For the scratching and fast forward tracks I used NI Turntables/Traktor.

I don’t like the trumpet sound a lot but I hope I can get away with it.

I am thinking about hiring a mixing engineer for this, but I don’t know if the song is worth the investment – so feel free to voice your opinion about that as well.

Well, It depends what you want to do with it. It's certainly "commercial", and I mean that in a good way. But personally, I would work on it yourself. If you give it to another engineer, there's no guarantee you'll like it better. But, even more important than that, wouldn't you like to be able to mix your own songs? The best way to get better at that is to just keep practicing mixing. I think it's worth the effort to just keep mixing your own stuff. The practice, knowledge, and experience you get out of that is a much better investment than the money you spend on getting someone else to mix it with no guarantee you'll be satisfied and depriving yourself the personal satisfaction and sense of accomplishment.

Just my personal opinion.

Well, If you give it to another engineer, there's no guarantee you'll like it better. But, even more important than that, wouldn't you like to be able to mix your own songs? The best way to get better at that is to just keep practicing mixing. I think it's worth the effort to just keep mixing your own stuff.

Just my personal opinion.

Good point, but there's one thing that's problematic when you're doing the recording, production and the mixing as well: You're not neutral to the song any more. Actually you may have listened to it and worked on it for months or even years. Giving the song away can have the advantage that someone else can work on it who has not listened to it before - that's not to underestimate. On the other hand you're right: The mixing engineer doesn't necessarily give you exactly the sound you want. So that's why I decided to work on the mix myself this time. I think that I learned a lot from giving my songs to other people though and that I would do it again, if I have the feeling I am myself not able get the most out of a song and if a song has a lot of commercial potential.

Cool song. I'm with the others--too much lower mids everywhere, including vox. The bass line is great but bass and kick are too loud. Overall, there's a distorted sound to the track. Are you using some plugin to try to emulate tape saturation, or something along those lines? If so, I'd A/B with and without and ask yourself if it really contributes.

As far as the mix, there's a build up of low mids on everything including the vocals. Makes the whole mix lack sheen and definition.

this is exactly what i thought. no top end shine. production is great, nice creative fillers and transitions

The vocal arrangement is cool in spots. The vocal recording is good.

There is some high-mid detail missing in the mix. And there is a lot of low midrange in the song - like from 300hz - 800hz or so.

The song has a cool feel to it. I liked that.

Back