V-Amp question

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
What is the real difference between a Guitar V-Amp and a Bass V-Amp? Yeah, I know, one is for guitar, another is for bass but couldn't you run a bass through the guitar V-Amp and still get the same results as you would with a Bass v-amp?

Right now I run my bass through my guitar v-amp and get decent results but I"m just wondering if it would make much of a difference if I got the bass one.

The only difference is the bass v-amp has more bass amp models and fewer guitar amp models: so for a bass player you get more variety with the bass v-amp. The same model in both units should sound identical.

No, there are more differences than that. I have both units.
The Bass V-Amp also has amp models for keyboards and acoustic guitar.
If you also have the FCB1010, you can set it up to act as a bass pedal unit (playing bass notes with the foot controller).
I've played a bass through the V-Amp, and it just doesn't cut it for me. I prefer the Bass V-Amp for bass.

EDITED TO ADD: BTW I have the Pro models.

Last edited:
I own the Bass V-amp (I've tried the V-Amp - but since I already own a POD & J-Station I did not need it).

The Bass V-amp does have some guitar amps (in addition to the bass amps, keyboard amps & accoustic simulation). I'm not a fan of most of the effects on the Bass V-amp (but I do not feel I need many effects on bass).

I was able to by a demo model of the Bass V-Amp for $80 - and I'm very satisfied. I have run a couple of basses and several sampled keyboard bass sounds though the various bass amps and I really think the "amped sounds" are convincing.

While you could run a bass though a clean setting on a V-Amp, there are many more "bass" options on the bass V-amp.

The rackmount V-Amp Pros are going really cheap these days (as low as $139 for sealed new units from eBay stores) and I've been considering getting a bass one to supplement my J-Station for recording.

Does anyone here have any prolonged experience with this unit in terms of reliability and sound quality, particularly noise?

Thanks!

I Do

I have the V-Amp Pro and it sounds awesome straight into my soundcard via the SPDIF. No Noise at all! I tried using the XLR outputs first and they were noisy to me, but I don't use them so it doesn't matter. Great unit for the price....I use it to layer sounds with my fullstack.....Great to thicken up stuff.

Back