v-amp pro or pod xt?

which is more worht buying, V-amp pro or pod xt pro?

• Total voters
There's nothing inherently wrong with the sounds of the V-Amp, but my bass V-Amp NEVER keeps any user presets that I've saved.

In fact, when I power the unit down, it needs resetting to the factory defaults before it will even work again.

This was a brand new unit, straight out of the box.

I cannot fault the Pod on any level.

sounds like the internal lithium battery is dead.

Doesn't matter what brand you buy, lemons come from all factories occasionally.

Currently, I have a Pod XT Live, a Bass V-Amp, and just recently purchased a used Johnson J-Station.

I haven't stumbled across anything in the Bass V-Amp that makes my bass sound good to my ear. I've been using a SansAmp Para Driver DI for my bass stuff until I tried the J-Station the other day. The "Modern" setting on the J-Station was more of what I wanted.

I'd love to have a Bass Pod. My XT Live makes the guitar sound pretty good...for a direct recorded guitar, that is.

The Bass V-Amp did have a nicer leslie sound for rhythm guitar, IMHO. I think I need to fool with it more, though.

Yeah, I have to say that I'm having a bit of trouble finding good bass tones in the Bass V-amp Pro. I'm not a bass player, though, and that can have a lot to do with it. I did, however, find some pretty good things for guitar. For the price, it's a great little unit to have in the rack when I need an extra guitar patch for whatever reason, or when a couple of the guys wanna play later at night, and headphones are needed instead of live amps. If something happened to it (have had both the Bass V-amp Pro, and V-amp Pro for about 6 years, and have had no problems) I would replace it without hesitation, if for no other reason, just for the acoustic guitar effect.

My J-Station has the "Modern" setting I mentioned. The Para Driver DI has some useful stuff, too. When I do the next round of recording bass, I'm going to try getting two or three things at once...

* J-Station on "Modern"
* Para Driver DI -or- SansAmp Classic (it offers a nice tone)
* placing a microphone in front of my small Peavey bass amp (125 watts)

I did something similar with acoustic guitar the other day (1 LDC mic, 1 SDC mic, & direct through Fishman pre amp) and the end result was very full and nice with no EQ or effects added, just volume adjustment and panning. I'm thinking maybe I can do the same with the bass. We'll see soon enough.

My J-Station has the "Modern" setting I mentioned. The Para Driver DI has some useful stuff, too. When I do the next round of recording bass, I'm going to try getting two or three things at once...

* J-Station on "Modern"
* Para Driver DI -or- SansAmp Classic (it offers a nice tone)
* placing a microphone in front of my small Peavey bass amp (125 watts)

I did something similar with acoustic guitar the other day (1 LDC mic, 1 SDC mic, & direct through Fishman pre amp) and the end result was very full and nice with no EQ or effects added, just volume adjustment and panning. I'm thinking maybe I can do the same with the bass. We'll see soon enough.

I always mic acoustic gutiar that way. However, you may not like the results when you try it with bass.

oh, and edited since I'm sure people will laugh.

Laugh away :-)

I don't care. :-)

I will admit though that I keep backup systems around since, although I've never had anything behringer die on me, I don't really trust it that much.

Back to original post:

as a pro bass session player mostly, but also engineer and multiinstrumentalist with lots of guitar playing going on too, I absolutely swear by my Bass v-amp pro.

just turn the knobs, use your ears, and voila, AMAZING tub-ish rock bass sounds. that thing, when setup properly (such as when using it with a PA amp, I prefer yorkville keyboard amps with 15" woofers), is the pro bassist's dream come true. the v-amp pro line has more convincing tube playing feel to me than the xt pro does.

I have the pod xt pro as well by the way, amazing unit. But definitely better for guitar than bass (with the bass pack obviously).

very good, and super convenient all in the foot controller, but simply not as musically playable to me.

pod has better presets. but presets are for the birds.

v-amp pro bass version always gets raves from engineers and crowds when I use it. I never tell them what I'm using unless I must, I prefer to wait until I get the reaction. Especially with some of the other gear I have in my bass rack... they assume I'm going through some combination of eventide and rack tube preamp. But I only use the eventide for rare effects and the tube preamp for using a real bass amp with real bass speakers (which sounds like absolute crap wtih the v-amp pro by the way unless, of course, you disable the speaker sim stuff in the v-amp).

So to each their own.

$100 for a used bass v-amp pro? that's what I paid LoL.

I've made that investment cost back hundreds of times over by now I would guess. Price isnt' an issue for me these days, but I use it as my goto box because I just like it better.

I actually do own a Bass V-Amp... it's not bad for some amp modeling.

But for the 6 strings, I go to the POD XT for hardware (Guitar Rig for software) modeling.

POD xt isn't amazing, but it is very usable. I can't crank the amps most of the time in my apartment, so I use an old xt live. since they have been replaced you can find xt stuff for well under $150. I'd grab it for that price.

I invested in the expansion packs for my XT Live. Not the best you ever heard, but certainly useful when demoing stuff. The bass expansion stuff has been a little useful, anyway.

I just don't have time to record much, it seems. :-/

Back