Using Yamaha MOX & Logic's Mainstage sounds live.

Martn

Hi there! I hope anyone can help me here.

I’m trying to setup my MOX with Logic’s Mainstage, but I’m having some troubles. Is there anyone around here who uses this setup?
I looked trough all kinds of forums, but I can’t find the solution.
I connect my MOX with the USB cable, and I’m getting the sounds from Mainstage trough the MOX, but they are all out of tune. All sounds sound great, but they are all a bit more than 1 tone out of tune. I think my audio sample rate is set to 44.1 (there is nog way to change this in the MOX, right?).
I can retune my Mainstage with an internal tuner, but I guess this can’t be the right solution?

Also, is it possible to use both MOX and Mainstage sounds via Mainstage (see the MOX sounds visually on my computer, as a VST (or something like that), or make a link to them via the computer)?
I only use real-time sounds in the MOX (voice, performance), so no songs or patterns.
The reason I’m willing to use Mainstage is because it’s very easy-to-use. I use A LOT of sounds when I’m performing live, and programming them all in my MOX is just a lot of work.
I also arrange them in Master mode in a way so I can simply go to the next sounds by pushing my footswitch.
The cool stuff about using Mainstage here is that I see everything in a very organized way, I can buy new sounds, and I can push my footswitch to go to the next sound while I’m still hearing the previous sound (with the MOX, the sounds stop immediately when going to the next master ‘setup’.)
But the sounds from the MOX are so great, and I’m so happy about them, that I obviously want to use them to.

Thanks in advance, sorry I have to ask these questions here, but I don’t know where else I can ask them.

M’

At first blush, it sounds like a MIDI mapping issue. Are you driving the MOX from your keyboard or the DAW? If it is the DAW, then there should be some kind of mapping so middle C is middle C, C# is C#, not D and so forth.

I would double check to see what note it is sending and also making sure it is not sending any erroneous system events, effects or other none wanted data. We know it can't be out of tune :eek:

Thanks for your reply!!

Well, after fooling around with the output-input, sample rate, audio-midi setup, I found a way to solve the tuning problem.
I can now play all sounds I have in Mainstage, trough my Yamaha MOX.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use both Yamaha's MOX sounds, and Mainstage's sounds simultaneously?
(There are some great sounds in the MOX that I don't have in Mainstage, and it would be great to use them both when performing live).
I've read somewhere that you can 'map' sounds from your keyboard into Mainstage? Or should I see them as 2 totally different 'sound engines'. (Either the sounds from Mainstage, OR the sounds I get directly out of my keyboard).

Or should I buy an extra midi controller solely for Mainstage, and use my Yamaha as a stand-alone keyboard.

Thanks guys, I'll try and be more active on this forum. And help others where I can help them.

M'

For future reference on the tuning problem:

My output in Mainstage is set to the MOX (with a sample rate of 44.1)
My Input in Mainstage is set to the built-in-input (also 44.1).
I really don't understand why my input needs to be set to the built-in-input, but it's the only way the sound coming trough my Yamaha (stereo) is in tune.

In the Yamaha MOX: be sure to set your 'Quick Setup' to A1: (DAW REC), otherwise you'll here both MOX's sounds an Mainstage's sounds.

M'

This is the area where MIDI gets interesting. This comes into two areas, one is channel send, so example, your keyboard plays its sounds and the module (MOX) plays its sounds. Depending on you you are driving it (computer verses Keyboard) you will get the MOX on say channel 2 (Midi has 1-16) and on the computer, set the MIDI data to broadcast on 2, and then you'll have to figure out from the documentation what else is required to set what voice(s)/program information that requires to send.

If it is from the keyboard, then you will probably need to set your send information via the same channel, preset the program, then the outputs on both Keyboard and sound module will need to be routed either to a mixer, to your interface, depending where you need the sound going to as now it is an analog routing issue.

All outputs from both pieces of equipment is treated as an analog signal, and usually stereo (two channel).

You will have to research a bit more to fully understand it, but this should get you pointed in the right direction I hope.

Share your process.

Thanks for your reply!!

Well, after fooling around with the output-input, sample rate, audio-midi setup, I found a way to solve the tuning problem.
I can now play all sounds I have in Mainstage, trough my Yamaha MOX.

Hi M,

Can you please share your process on how you fixed the issue.

I am having the same problem too.

Thanks
Bert

Back