Using what you've got!!

John Sayers

Solar Power!!
As I've said before I'm in limbo so my gear is at a friends. All I've got is my computer - pentium II 350, 128 ram, soundblaster live card - so I can keep on the web. My songwriting partner has written another song and desperately wanted to get it down before he forgot it etc. So we recorded it with what we had. The mike used is the proview monitor mike, cakewalk 9 and soundforge with waves plugins. Monitoring was the proview monitor attached speakers and headphones plugged into the rear output of the blaster card. I've put it up as an MP3 (128) and it's 1.2meg - The drums are ripped off from shania twain the rest is dave's acoustic and the soundblaster internal synths.
get it at

[This message has been edited by John Sayers (edited 07-24-2000).]

that was awesome....maybe sometimes quick is good....the vocals, playing, sound, mix, and the tune itself...well written....want more want longer want now...lyrics perfect..."the better man's facing extinction" NOT....this tune has a vibe and feeling simply not present AT ALL on current country playlists, even though it uses a somewhat typical song form...or maybe I just like the upfront chord change at :04...and :28...very traditional but more in yer face in a way to my ears....this is a real songwriter's song that utilizes craft AND feeling, which to me, is the whole purpose of the exercise....no gimmicks or drama or production coming out of the desire to follow the crowd...THIS sounds like what "the new country" should have sounded like....I ramble...must take medicine...calm myself...oh the humanity.....voices, voices.......gibs

Damn ... excellent sound. Very pro.
Very nice vocal work ... great background vocals!! ...
I want to find just one thing to change about this tune ... but it's too good.
Great lyrics, great tune ... I'm gonna be humming this one all week!! :D

[This message has been edited by BigKahuna (edited 07-24-2000).]

thanks guys - we can't get a deal with this kibd of stuff in oz - you americans can really appreciate country but here it's classed as hicksville - regarding the shania drums - there is a song on her album that starts with drums on their own for one bar. There was a cymbal crash in the first beat so I too beat 3 and 4 (kick and snare) and then cut out just the snare which I layed for the snare intro etc. The original song (Shanias) was at 124.9bpm so I timestretched it with soundforge time/stretch and and made it 120bpm which this track is at. I layed the snare in like you would midi using snap to 8ths in cakewalk. The rim shot is from the creative synth in the soundblaster card and there is an extra kick from another shania song with it in the verses. The cymbals are from the creative synth also. The acoustics were recorded using the Proview mike and we did it twice (double tracked) and the harmones are all dave my partner multitracked and them bounced down to a stereo pair. The harmonies on the last line of the chorus - "the better man etc" were created using soundforge pitchchange using the original vocal of daves and pitchchanging the words to make a harmony part.

I really like the sound of the guitars. That's a pretty cool story how you did this tune. The vocals are nice and tight. Really, overall I think this tune is extremely well done. Everything is where it should be I think. Great job!

Man... talk about HICKSVILLE!!! :D Just kidding...

Why the hell is everyone on this site recommending all this expensive gear when something this good can be recorded with such basic equipment! But then if we all had 30+ years or porfessional experience under our belts then maybe it wouldn't be that hard??? I don't know...

Nice work John!

That song is just plain awesome, John!

Just one complaint... it's too short!

It would be nice to hear another verse and chorus to stretch it to (at least) past the two-minute mark.

Other than that, you've got a winner there.

the song does have another two verses and two more choruses - I edited it as I wanted to keep the mp3 a respectable download size
cheers

John, post the full version..I'm wearin' out winamp every minute and 16 seconds....please....gibs

Yeah, that pretty much sets the record straight, doesn't it? The main lesson I've learned from Sonusman is that better gear = better sound, and the main lesson I've learned from this sound clip is that you don't *need* expensive gear to get a real good sound. Both are true. Home recordists unite! Damn, that's a good tune with good sound. I like the way you sing too.

Thanks guys but it's not me singing - it's my partner Dave - I just do the arrangements, programming etc. Sure I'll post the full version gibs I'll get back with the link. you're on tdukez - that's why I'm here (as opposed to that garrigus bloke)

cheers all

I can understand why your partner 'desperately wanted' to get this one recorded. He was ready for it, obviously. You keep on trusting that partner when he's desperate, okay?

John

I have to agree with cooperman. Very good
tune. I cant seem to record an acoustic guitar for beans. Some of my tunes sound ok and I was using alot more than the equip you
were using. The only decent mic I have is an
akg c3000, is that any good for acoustic guitars? maybe thats the problem but its probably just me.

Very smooth recording!!

Great feeling to that tune!!

I like the way it was panned, nice work.

Too short, most of us will download 4 minute songs, without complaining.

OK if you want the full version get it at

and if any of you can get us a publishing deal - go for it!! preferably in the US

thanks guys

John,
That song has heart and soul! I have to agree with other posts...good recording, great everything. As far as a publishing deal...I'm sure "Tater Spray" would sponser you.
But really...only a matter of time before a "deal" comes your way!

Garger

Back