Using Uncleared Samples On a Mixtape? PLEASE help!

Re: Yeah....................

pM of impk21.co said:
i know that dont give you an acurate answer, but let me put it like this, Vanilly Ice made a riff, or who ever, that sounded "almost" like Queen's "under pressure", damn, on the other hand, I dont know the band's name, but that dude who did the song "Bitter Sweet Synphony" got sued for just about ever pennie he and his group made cuz he used the same melody that was copywrited in his hit song, make since? pM [/B]

bitter sweet symphony is by the verve (they were the verve pipe before and after the suit, they changed it back to the verve pipe) and i believe it was an orchestra part from a rolling stones song. it wasn't just the same melody, it was an actual sample. they tried to license it, but the stones (i'm not 100% it was the rolling stones, but i think it was) or whoever was in control of the copyright wouldn't license it to them so they used it anyway. that was a damn good song too. i had that cd. i wonder what happened to it. maybe i'll go get another copy of it.

i think the verve was left with like 1500 bucks or something after everything was said and done.

vanilla ice also was sued and lost a lot of money.

Jhae said:
And I pay that directly to the label? Or does the HFA handle that? Who is getting the money form the HFA, the publishers?

You'll have to pay two different people.

1. Owners of the song, which will probably be done via Harry Fox.

2. Owners of the sound recording (moment in time captured on tape), which could be the artist, the label, or just about anybody.

Thanks, that clears things up somewhat! I'll probably still have questions later though. Have a great day.

by the way the verve and the verve pipe are completely different groups and not related in any way!

47ronin

Back