using the same power amp for studio AND live monitors?

AvoidTheClap

ok. i decided to finally get monitors.
so i got alesis pasive mk2's & a ra150 amp.

now. to get the most of my money, could i use the power amp for live monitors too? i've been making due without, i usually play places that have their own setup, but on occasion i play a smaller bar (either full band or acoustic setup) where i bring my own PA.

here's the specs on the power amp:

Rated output:
4 ohms: 75 watts RMS per channel
8 ohms: 45 watts RMS per channel
8 ohms: 150 watts RMS, bridged mode

so in theory, could i get either these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/127063

or these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/127064

i know people usually don't, but in this situation, i see no reason why i can't do double duty with the power amp...right?

thanks.

Absolutely no reason why you can't use it for live gigs too. Depending on how many monitors you want to power you might run it in bridge mode for live gigs.

Lt. Bob said:
Absolutely no reason why you can't use it for live gigs too. Depending on how many monitors you want to power you might run it in bridge mode for live gigs.

k. thanks.

as i said, most of the places that don't have their own setups are either really small, or just acoustic performances anyway. so i'm just figuring one monitor for the drummer & one in the middle of the stage.

think there's going to be much difference between the 12 or the 10 kpc's?

80 watts sounds extremely scary to me to use on monitors. Especially if you have a drummer. Even the 150 watts bridged sounds scary.

An acoustic show? If you have a quiet drummer you might be OK. 45W per wedge is pretty lean, so don't expect miracles. You'll have to keep stage volume under 90dB. I keep the bass, drums, and anything else unnecessary out of the monitors, and I cut everything below 100Hz, which helps when you have little power.

I would be inclined to get 12" over 10" because the day will come when you have more power, and you don't want to have to replace your wedges to get that low end you're missing. Also you might want to use the wedges as mains someday, then you'll definitely want 12"s.

xstatic said:
80 watts sounds extremely scary to me to use on monitors. Especially if you have a drummer. Even the 150 watts bridged sounds scary.

It's pushing it but I think it's enough for a vocal monitor or two. I wouldn't want to be running keys and bass through it also. Mains would obviously be way underpowered. A lot depends on the actual amp. A good amp will usually be much more efficient then a cheapie.

I agree that with vocals only, and at a low volume, the Alesis "might" be able to handle it. I would however not be surprised at all if using the Alesis for this will actually damage the Alesis. Especially since it will probably be used with a less than optimal monitor which will in turn demand even more form the amp. Those Alesis amps just weren't designed for the levels, the transients, and stage monitor type drivers. I understand wanting to save money and have the amp do double duty, but does it really save money if you kill the amp?

"Vocals only light acoustic folk music in a small bar" - Probably.

"Vocals only rocking music with a drummer that's hitting things on the same stage" - Something's gonna give (probably the amp).

Back