Using the "pre amp out" port on my amp to run to the mixer?

Elison

Hello I'm new to mixing and mixers and everything.

I have the zmx122fx mixer. I'm planning on running a bass a guitar and two mics for drums. I just bought this mixer yesterday.

Am I gonna blow the mixer if I run the bass and guitar to the mixer from the "line out" port on the bass amp and the "pre amp out" on the guitar amp?

Thank you

you'll find that most guitar amps that have a 'preamp out' will sound terrible without another device to apply sound kind of speaker emulation or filter to the signal.

try it and see, but a more effective device for distorted or even clean guitars, with tube amps, would be something like a palmer pdi-09 or radial jdx.

bass, that's another animal altogether, and the preamp out might just fine for that

Supporting Gonzo-X
why...
Some amp's have a "monitor out" that has a separate EQ setup.

Look at the Boss GT effects boards - they have a different bias for "Line Out" recording vs a feed to an amplifier. They do this because the different EQ is known.

The preamp-out with a return is often intended to feed an analog in-loop pedal.

Some amps have an XLR output with the appropriate bias for direct to the mixer to PA. The modern (and expensive) Fender Bassman TV-10 has this biased line out.

Gonzo-X is correct in general but some amps have a special output. I leave it as an exercise to the reader as to how the characteristics of a tube amp power section works holistically with the speakers to produce a final audio bias that might not be accurately represented by the signal to the mixer.

With all that "hot air" be aware that what is recorded is never exactly what you hear. It is possible that the bias of direct preamp out with a selected mixer bias will sound good to you. So.. try it and find what you like.

Tinitus sucks.

- r

Hello I'm new to mixing and mixers and everything.

I have the zmx122fx mixer. I'm planning on running a bass a guitar and two mics for drums. I just bought this mixer yesterday.

Am I gonna blow the mixer if I run the bass and guitar to the mixer from the "line out" port on the bass amp and the "pre amp out" on the guitar amp?

Thank you

Why do you want to do this? You know what won't blow the mixer? Putting a mic on the speaker cabs and running those mics into the mixer. Simple.

Just be warned that if either of your amps is a valve amp head with a cabinet, you MUST make sure the cab is attached to use the preamp out. Valve amps need to have their load attached otherwise you'll almost certainly blow the output transformer.

Cheers :)

Back