Using The 388 Aux Buss As A PFL

Mark7

Fiddly, but it does actually work. Try it! :D

I'm going to respect everyone's intelligence and assume you don't need a step by step guide.

Yes. The AUX buss is either a pre-fade pre-EQ monitor buss/cue feed, or essentially a second post-fade effect send buss as determine per input channel by the PRE/POST source select switch above each AUX level control. If the engineer wants to use the AUX buss as a quasi PFL system during tracking or mixing, it’s not really that fiddly, just set all the PRE/POST switches to PRE, and then you can monitor just that system by pressing the AUX source switch over in the monitor section (above the MONITOR/PHONES level knob). I say “quasi” because the difference is typically a PFL system sources direct off the channel input amp, and goes straight to a master PFL level or SOLO control so you are sourcing directly from the input amp without a second level control in between, and additionally a PFL system would have in/out switching so you can turn on or off the assignment of individual channels to the PFL system without having to, in this case, turn down the respective AUX level control you want to cut. Maybe that’s what you mean by “fiddly”, and if that’s the case I agree with you, but the functionality is there, and that is one way Teac intended the AUX buss to be used…it’s a bit of a compromise but it is functional that way…you can tell it was intended in part for this purpose because the PRE setting is pre-EQ. A lot of times I see a pre-fade AUX or monitor buss sourced post-EQ, but that’s when you have a dedicated PFL system. So that’s part of the compromise. If they designed all those dedicated features into the 388 mixer, it would be more complex, more expensive, and less compact. So they made these decisions based on a number of goals. I think it was pretty smart. Another element like this is the L-R buss serving as a solo-in-place system during tracking.

Yes. The AUX buss is either a pre-fade pre-EQ monitor buss/cue feed, or essentially a second post-fade effect send buss as determine per input channel by the PRE/POST source select switch above each AUX level control. If the engineer wants to use the AUX buss as a quasi PFL system during tracking or mixing, it’s not really that fiddly, just set all the PRE/POST switches to PRE, and then you can monitor just that system by pressing the AUX source switch over in the monitor section (above the MONITOR/PHONES level knob). I say “quasi” because the difference is typically a PFL system sources direct off the channel input amp, and goes straight to a master PFL level or SOLO control so you are sourcing directly from the input amp without a second level control in between, and additionally a PFL system would have in/out switching so you can turn on or off the assignment of individual channels to the PFL system without having to, in this case, turn down the respective AUX level control you want to cut. Maybe that’s what you mean by “fiddly”, and if that’s the case I agree with you, but the functionality is there, and that is one way Teac intended the AUX buss to be used…it’s a bit of a compromise but it is functional that way…you can tell it was intended in part for this purpose because the PRE setting is pre-EQ. A lot of times I see a pre-fade AUX or monitor buss sourced post-EQ, but that’s when you have a dedicated PFL system. So that’s part of the compromise. If they designed all those dedicated features into the 388 mixer, it would be more complex, more expensive, and less compact. So they made these decisions based on a number of goals. I think it was pretty smart. Another element like this is the L-R buss serving as a solo-in-place system during tracking.
It is!

No. There is no “library wind” type spooling feature on a 388. When I archive tapes on such a machine I always just PLAY spool tails out.

Back