Using Send Effects

C4th

Hi, hope someone may be able to help me here.

I'm using a Tascam DP24 to record and i have recorded onto the 12 mono tracks.
I was told i should add effects after i have recorded, which is what i have done as far as i have recorded my tracks dry.
My problem is how do i add the effects? I'm hoping to use my outboard effects unit.. The routing is - my effect racks input to the send 2 on my DP24, then the racks output to the desired channel. Does this sound right?
i'm just really wondering how exactly i actually add the effect to the track i have recorded.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The routing is - my effect racks input to the send 2 on my DP24, then the racks output to the desired channel. Does this sound right?
I used to have the TASCAM 2488, but it's been a while. I used to have out board reverbs as sends.

If I remember correctly, you're doing it wrong. It should be something like "Effect send" out of the TASCAM to the input of your outboard gear, and then return the output of your gear into 2 INPUTS of the TASCAM (Or just 1 input if you just want mono effects). You then assign the 2 inputs to 2 channels, I always used Channels 23 and 24 for that. From there, you send as much or as little from as many channels as you want to the Effects Send.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks for your reply RAMI. OK that makes sense.

Two things though, should I always have my effects in stereo, including guitars, drums, vocals etc. Also, how do i actually apply the effect to the track? Can I do multiple passes during mix down, or something like that?

Thanks again.

The level of each track going out the send to the effect will determine how much effect each track will "have", but the the effect's output is simply added to the mix as a whole, not to any particular track. The effect unit can add the effect to all the tracks at the same time, in different amounts if desired, much like a room can add natural reverb to all the sounds in it at once.

This is what's known as a parallel effect. It's added to the mix without interrupting the normal path each track takes to the main bus. That's different from series effect, like eq and compression, which are generally use to alter and completely replace the original input audio with a modified version at the output.

how do i actually apply the effect to the track?

Boulder's got you covered pretty well. To answer this question, there should be a menu for each track which allows you to send as much or as little of each instrument to the effect.

Like I said, I used to own the 2488, which is probably similar to the DP24. I just don't know HOW similar it is, so I don't want to be too specific as to how to do things because I might steer you wrong. But I can almost guarantee that each channel has an "Effects" menu or "Send" menu, or something like that. This should allow you to assign as much or as little effect to each channel.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. So is there a way i can add effects to individual tracks using the sends?

We posted at the same time but I think I answered that right above your last post. :)

Thanks for your reply. So is there a way i can add effects to individual tracks using the sends?

Have the send for just one channel up and all the others down. If you want to permanently and irrevocably change the audio you can solo the track and record it to a new track with the effect applied. But that's not how it's done unless there's no other way.

Back