Using Reason 4.0 to master?

achen9660

I don't have any outboard mastering gear or even any knowledge on how to master with the stock plug-ins in logic but I do most of my stuff in reason and logic but I was just thinking could I just bounce the file after I'm done mixing and load it into a sampler in Reason and just use the mastering suite and use one of the presets then tweak it to my liking. Would that be an easy way of doing it?

If it sounds good, do it.

I don't use or have Reason so I can't tell you if it'd be easy. I like T-Racks for a final shine up on my mixdowns.

you would have to put the entire audio file back into a sampler to master it? then use a preset??

bounce it down then open it in logic...thats the way more obvious thing to do...presets do not master anything, they ruin tracks

the plug ins in logic work exactly the same as those in Reason...in fact you've got more choice as it takes outside plug ins too...

What are you mastering, and for what?

Im not sure you understand the terminology fully

lol do you know how Reason works? It doesn't read audio files. It's only for midi programming but it has a mastering suite on it. The mastering suite consists of basic mastering stuffz like multiband compression, stereo imager, limiter, and a maximizer. And there are presets like for hard-rock mastering or pop or acoustic or hip hop settings. Then you could go in and adjust the settings yourself. I was just asking if someone who doesn't know much about mastering themselves, could we use this method as an alternative. Maybe I'll post an audio file of something that I've done, before and after this method to see what you guys think. Because I think it sounds better than the original. But maybe thats just cuz its louder. I don tknow.

until you understand the tools and why you need to master a track, eg finishing of an album..I wouldnt even bother with it...

the tools you mention in the mastering suite are available in logic....if its just volume you want adding loudness is pretty simple, stick a compressor on, put a limiter on after it....

but if its making your tracks sound much better id imagine than some of the problem lies with the quality of your mixes, and that has to be done to the very best of your abilities first, mastering single tracks is little more than finalising, adding a bit of polish...its should alter then sonically that much

take an active part in the mp3 clinic, then people will review your mixes and point out anything lacking...but dont go through all the work of producing or mixing a track to leave it in the hands of a preset...seems plain wrong

until you understand the tools and why you need to master a track, eg finishing of an album..I wouldnt even bother with it...

the tools you mention in the mastering suite are available in logic....if its just volume you want adding loudness is pretty simple, stick a compressor on, put a limiter on after it....

but if its making your tracks sound much better id imagine than some of the problem lies with the quality of your mixes, and that has to be done to the very best of your abilities first, mastering single tracks is little more than finalising, adding a bit of polish...its should alter then sonically that much

take an active part in the mp3 clinic, then people will review your mixes and point out anything lacking...but dont go through all the work of producing or mixing a track to leave it in the hands of a preset...seems plain wrong

And what might be the link of this mp3 clinic you speak of? ;) I, too, would like someone to hear the final mix of my final project here and get some feedback. Please link me ...

Back