Using outboard gear

riccol

I have been recording for some time but everything is in the box with the software.

As long as I have been recording I should know this. But I have been happy with my simple setup for some time.

I use my Great River and Speck Preamp to record tracks straight into my Delta 44 Soundcard. I use no outboard mixer.

Then any eq or compression reverb and other effects I have done in the sofware with plugins.

But here is my quesion. If I wanted to add some outboard gear to apply to tracks like I do the plugins such as eq, reverb, compression etc.

How do I do that? I'm pretty sure I would need to use a mixer, but how would I go about hooking things up.

Must be plenty of treads on this, and sorry to post a tread that is redundant, but could not really find treads dealing with this specific question.

Any help appreciated

riccol, I've never done this ever so it's the ol' blind leading the blind. Those are some respectable preamps you got going there. What species are they? Do they have inserts on them? I figure you use that but would be nice if someone would confirm, I do all my stuff in box as well.

- Mike

There are a number of ways of doing it (one of which was suggested by Mikew).

If your interface has multiple outputs and your software recognises these, you can send the tracks to which you want to apply effects to one of these, take that output to your fx unit, then take the ouput of that back through your interface and record this the usual way. (For example, in Logic I can direct an already tracked guitar to output 3, take that into an FX unit, back into the firepod and back into Logic).

In Logic (and you may be able to do this with other applications), you can also send the effects bus to different outputs, and repeat the same with this.

Reaper is highly flexible, and I expect similar possibilities exist there as well.

Back