Using outboard gear with a PCI interface

amonte

I'm very intrigued by the RNC and the RNLA, but I'm wondering if using outboard gear with some of the interfaces I'm considering (specifically, the Delta 44/66 or Delta 1010, Echo Layla, Emu 1212M or 1820M, or the LynxONE) is a good idea or if it will yield good (or even useable) results.

I know there is a post circulating about whether or not to use compression when tracking, so now I'm wondering if I can use an outboard compressor after recording to a PC with one of the above interfaces. I know plug-ins allow you to keep everything in the box, but is this a viable option? Or would the audio be degraded to much by having to go through the conversion a second time? Is there an affordable interface out there that might be better suited for this type of function?

Is there anyone out there who is using an RNC or RNLA in a PC based system? And if so, how are you using it - during tracking, or after the tracks have been recorded?

As long as your rig is set up right, it should work fine. I run a Delta TDIF where I use the analog in/outs as an effects loop for cubase so I can warm up some of the digital stuff and it is very transparent. I can't really tell a difference between setting it up directly through or patching it in via the computer

yeah it should work, just run the audio you want to compress from you DAW through a spare output on the interface, into the inputs of the RNC/RNLA, patch the outputs of the compressor to a spare input on the interface, and set up your DAW to record that input. There's a slight delay as the signal goes through D/A conversion on the way out and through A/D conversion on the way back, so you'll have to nudge the waveforms manually to get them to line up (it shouldn't be more than a few samples). Also, keep in mind that ever time you put a convert a signal from digital to analog back into digital, you lose a little bit of accuracy and introduce a little bit of noise/coloration. How noticable this is will depend on the quality of the convertors, cables, etc.

Thanks for the tips! Of the interfaces listed above, would one be able to perform this with better results than the others? Does this come down to the quality (or lack of quality) of the DACs?

interesting - I wasn't aware that I would need to "nudge" the waveform. I'm guessing that I'd experience the same problem when reamping as well...

Yes, you can do it. I have the RNC & RNLA and a Delta 66 card (running cubase se). I try to add some compression where needed during tracking (bass, acoustic guitar, vocals). Typically, I just mix with plugins if I want more compression, etc., but it's certainly possible to run things out of the delta card, through the gear, and back in. You are performing additional D/A & A/D conversions, which will degrade the sound some, but it may be worth it. I ran one entire mix through the RNLA this way just to see what it would do. The result was promising, but I still need more practice with it.

Back