Using new monitors leads me to this...

JazzMang

He's Junktastic!
So.
I have posted this song here before and got some excellent feedback (thank you to those of you that helped).

I have since re-recorded, remixed, and recorded some fresh vocals while using real monitors instead of the old POS speakers I used before.

All Gone

Give me any and all feedback related to anything.

Thanks all.

-JazzMang

Is it supposed to cut off after 55 seconds? I would be happy to hear more. What I heard sounds pretty good.

OK, that's cool. The guitar sounds kind of harsh at the beginning. Did you EQ it to sit in the mix? If so, you might consider backing off the EQ a bit until the electrics kick in, maybe around :30 or so. Vocals sound great to me.

DonF said:
OK, that's cool. The guitar sounds kind of harsh at the beginning. Did you EQ it to sit in the mix? If so, you might consider backing off the EQ a bit until the electrics kick in, maybe around :30 or so. Vocals sound great to me.
Yeah I did EQ it a bit on the high end and removed some muddiness in the lows. I will think about revamping the EQ, although it sounded ok on my monitors.

I guess its good to get compliments instead of 'you sound like anal leakage!'

so thank you to everyone.
But I could still use some criticism! Anyone hear anything that is sucky?

Other than the harsh, plasticy acoustic tone, this mix sounds nice. Good vocal sound.

Nice tune, Mang. I love the vocals. Very cool. Johnny Rzenick(?) like. Makes me wish for a better voice. I agree with scrubs, that the guitar tone is weird. It does sound like a tone the GOO Goo Dolls have though. If that was intended, then no nasty sounds I found.
Ed

Dogman said:
Nice tune, Mang. I love the vocals. Very cool. Johnny Rzenick(?) like. Makes me wish for a better voice. I agree with scrubs, that the guitar tone is weird. It does sound like a tone the GOO Goo Dolls have though. If that was intended, then no nasty sounds I found.
Ed
I dont know if I intended for the acoustic tone to be harsh at all... more like a kind of distant, yet clear acoustic that doesn't have a lot of tone in the low-mid region.

But thanks for the complements and suggestions. I will try and fix the EQ job I did on that acoustic to make it less abrasive. You can obviously see who my biggest influences are!

I personally liked the acoustic tone. It's not so thick as most other recordings but with the feel of the song, I think it's exactly what was needed. Good emotion in the vocals, but not overboard. I like the way the background vocals come in. Nice electric work with that little lead line over the rhythm.

One thing that bugs me is the sudden intro note of the bass, and just the bass tone in general. My personal opinion is that the song might be better served with a more mellow, less punchy bass tone. Maybe it could be massaged a bit in EQ, but I don't know how to do it.

Good track! That short clip makes me want to hear the rest of the song, and I want to hear some DRUMS!!! I'm hearing a nice big drum entry at either 46 seconds or 48 (depending on where you would want the emphasis), or maybe 2 measures after the end of the clip.

I like the acoustic, bass and vocal. The strummed electric guitar parts sound like they were recorded direct though. I'd re-record those parts with a tube amp. If that's how the origonal song sounds though then you've pretty much nailed it!

nuemes said:
I like the acoustic, bass and vocal. The strummed electric guitar parts sound like they were recorded direct though. I'd re-record those parts with a tube amp. If that's how the origonal song sounds though then you've pretty much nailed it!
This is an original song and those parts were not direct, but were recorded from a Fender Princeton 65 - i didn't want too much bite in the electrics b/c I think I am going to add another layer of soft ambient electrics later.

sile2001 said:
I personally liked the acoustic tone. It's not so thick as most other recordings but with the feel of the song, I think it's exactly what was needed. Good emotion in the vocals, but not overboard. I like the way the background vocals come in. Nice electric work with that little lead line over the rhythm.

One thing that bugs me is the sudden intro note of the bass, and just the bass tone in general. My personal opinion is that the song might be better served with a more mellow, less punchy bass tone. Maybe it could be massaged a bit in EQ, but I don't know how to do it.

Good track! That short clip makes me want to hear the rest of the song, and I want to hear some DRUMS!!! I'm hearing a nice big drum entry at either 46 seconds or 48 (depending on where you would want the emphasis), or maybe 2 measures after the end of the clip.

thanks for the help and suggestions. I will think about adding some drums... I would be interested in knowing how that would sound.

Once again thanks for the suggestions and critiques. Keep em coming! :)

I like the song and the performance a lot. I like the elec gtr tone and the build up in vocal intensity - and the layering of the BG vocals. Couple of ideas: The ac gtr during the intro sounds a little starved of lower mid's. Maybe leave it fuller until the vocal comes in? If the bass had a little more attack it'd add more rhythmic articulation to the part. Might be a compression attack timing thing. It sounds almost like a bowed upright in parts.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
I like the song and the performance a lot. I like the elec gtr tone and the build up in vocal intensity - and the layering of the BG vocals. Couple of ideas: The ac gtr during the intro sounds a little starved of lower mid's. Maybe leave it fuller until the vocal comes in? If the bass had a little more attack it'd add more rhythmic articulation to the part. Might be a compression attack timing thing. It sounds almost like a bowed upright in parts.

Tim
Thanks for the comments, tim. I agree that the acoustic probably sounds a little too 'tinny' at the beginning. I will make it more full in the verse and thin out in the chorus, just for some percussiveness, until I decide what I want to do as far as drums. Any suggestions anyone?

I kinda like the smooth bass for this song, though... I like the fact its not too abrasive... the fact that you described it as being like a bowed upright makes me happy... i like it to be a filler in a primarily acoustic song like this.

Keep 'em coming!

Back