Using my laptop's sound enhancer in a mix?

texteriouz

Hi, my laptop has a sound enhancer called THX TruStudio Pro, which just enhances the sound from obvious cheap laptop speakers, to great.

Unfortunately, the sound goes straight to the output, so turning it on doesn't affect the mix in any way at all.

I was wondering, is there anyway I can use the same settings that the sound processor uses, in my mix? Because then my mix would sound so much better, from the beginning.

I know I sound like a bony new beginner now, but is there any analyzes that can analyzes the compression settings, eq settings and what not? If not, how can I else remake the settings? I would probably use a frequency analyzer, to get more to the sound that I want. But there is a lot more than that I assume.

Thanks in advance!

Are you ONLY ever going to be listening to your mixes on those laptop speakers? That THX comes from Creative (make soundblaseter cards). Are you using an external audio interface?

Get an interface and better speakers. What you're planning will fix the sound for your cheap speakers and wreck it for any other playback system.

Are you ONLY ever going to be listening to your mixes on those laptop speakers? That THX comes from Creative (make soundblaseter cards). Are you using an external audio interface?
I am listening through the THX enhancer thing on my Yamaha NS-10, and it sounds perfect with that turned on. Well, I have a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I am planning to be fairly good at mixing, so it should sound decent on any system.

I am listening through the THX enhancer thing on my Yamaha NS-10, and it sounds perfect with that turned on. Well, I have a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I am planning to be fairly good at mixing, so it should sound decent on any system.

Why doesn't it sound great without the enhancer? Figure that out and you'll be on your way to being fairly good at mixing.

Seeing you're calling it an 'enhancer thing', perhaps you should at this point in your recording career, just take the advice of the knowledgable people here who know what it is, and are telling you not to use it.

Just sayin' :thumbs up:

If you have to apply something like the THX Enhancer to make your mix sound better then you're doing something wrong in the mix and should be addressing that.

What DAW are you using?

You can probably create the same sort of sound in much better quality using the effects built into almost any DAW system.

I don't know how the THX sounds but most such enhancers do some midrange boost, a bit of artificial reverb or pseudo-stereo effect and some compression. You can do all these--and control exactly how they sound--in any DAW.

In your post you mention using a frequency analyser. You don't need one. You need to just play and use your ears. It comes with practice and listening!

The enhancer system is designed to make crappy laptop speakers sound a little less crappy when listening to music. It has nothing to do with mixing whatsoever. If you put a world class professional mix through crappy laptop speakers, it will sound like it's coming through crappy laptop speakers. The enhancer may make it sounds just a little bit less so.

You need a decent set of monitors, headphones, or both, a starter DAW, an EQ and compression plugin, and a whole lot of time and dedication. Forget the enhancer setting. Hit the 101 tutorials and start mixing from scratch.

The thing is that mixing the effect of that processor into the song is probably not going to work as you hope for: the program works good the way he reacts to the music, sort of like a filter. If you mix your song with that particular effect, it is going to limit the sound and range of the song a lot: it might not sound as good on other systems :-)

Back