Using my acoustic amps mic preamp for recording?

mgray

I have an AER Acousticube, pretty much the best acoustic amp there is. Everything about this thing screams quality and fidelity. It has a 48v mic input, as well as a XLR DI out.

Since I don't have a lot of money to spend on mic pre's, I was wondering if I bought a nice condenser mic, and ran it thru the amp, and then from the DI out to my recorder, would that be like having a nice mic pre?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just try it and see if you like it. Unconventional approaches sometimes work great. Just don't be disappointed if it isn't phenomenal.

You can but try.
There are a couple of approaches you can take to recording. The 'proper' way or the experimental anarchic way. Both work. The latter way is full of pitfalls and potholes but when it comes off, well, it's joy unbridled. And has often become added to the ranks of 'the proper way'. The former way is tried and tested and rarely lets you down but doesn't like competition :p.
Personally, I can't see why both roads cannot happilly coexist. It's like a motorway and an A road. They'll both get you there. One is direct, the other a little more convoluted but also, more scenic.

I've recorded an acoustic/electric band (3 guitarists/vocalists, bassist/vocalist, and drummer/vocalist) at live gigs by having the gtrs/voxs submixed at the acoustic amps (Fender acoustisonics) and then DI'd into a Boss BR1600, which has 8 inputs. While it did pose EQ and balance challenges, we were able to get some very useful tracks. Not studio quality but fine for 'live' tracks.

You can but try.
There are a couple of approaches you can take to recording. The 'proper' way or the experimental anarchic way. Both work. The latter way is full of pitfalls and potholes but when it comes off, well, it's joy unbridled. And has often become added to the ranks of 'the proper way'. The former way is tried and tested and rarely lets you down but doesn't like competition :p.
Personally, I can't see why both roads cannot happilly coexist. It's like a motorway and an A road. They'll both get you there. One is direct, the other a little more convoluted but also, more scenic.

My thoughts exactly. nice analogy!

Welcome to the world of home recording, where a shortage of gear and money makes us use items in ways the manufacturer never intended. You're into seriously experimental, and I don't think anyone can tell you whether it will work, or how well. If you can, try renting or borrowing a good condenser and just do it. Your amp will answer the question more elegantly than any of us can.-Richie

Back