Using multi effects pedals and such with recording.

jrieggs

Again sorry if this is the wrong place. I tried searching for this but I didn't know how to word it. So as an example I have a boss multi effects pedal for bass guitar. It has lo, mids, and hi's and all that jazz. It also has a compressor built in. My question is how much do I use on the pedal? Like do I add compression in the pedal and not in the mix or the other way around? How much should I use the eq on the pedal and the amp? I hope all this makes sense. But thanks! and I'll be happy to explain further if you have questions :p

Although I don't use such pedals on bass, I do use a Boss GT10 on electric guitar.

My general advice is to use effects in tracking only to the extent that that effect can't be replicated in the box, or where it's necessary for the performance.

So I'd (generally) be turning compressors off unless there was a particular reason for them, using onboard EQ to get the tone you're after in conjunction with your amp, not worrying so much about delays, definitely turning off reverb, and using other effects (choruses, flangers, vibratos, tremelos and whatever other crazy things they pack in there) when I prefer the sound they make to anything I can manufacture post tracking with VSTs. Distortions and cab emulations etc go to make up the overall sound, so I'd leave them on, but with an awareness of what I'm doing and how much is enough borne of experience.

Of course if you're using amp sims then you probably wouldn't worry about the distortion etc. but I don't use amp sims.

Or, you can do whatever you like, really, there are no rights and wrongs... just things than can make the process easier and more difficult.

I do use amp sims which includes stomp boxes. My philosophy is to replicate what a guitar player would do in a studio. He'll bring his amp and pedals and set up to get his 'signature sound' that he has been using for his live performances. Then the engineer is going to put a mic in front of the amp to best capture that sound. So I set up my amp sim to do that. Whatever I need to get the sound I want. Then I record that!!

Once I record my track I take off the guitar player hat and put on the engineer hat. I'll work the recorded guitar track as I need to get it to fit with the rest of the tracks.

For bass, I have a newly acquired bass amp sim pedal. I don't use it in my recording chain yet. So for now, I record DI with the bass and use an Ampeg plug-in. Same philosophy though. Get the sounds I want, record, then tweak recorded track to fit the song.

Back