Using MIDI in Sonar 3

Mr T

I'm new to working with MIDI in Sonar 3, whats the best way to edit a group of notes? Just now I can only edit one at a time by using the piano roll view. I have set-up a MIDI drum track and all the hi-hats are too loud so I need to bring the overall volume down.

I would split your notes to different tracks (there's a CAL script that will do this - Split Note to Tracks) for more control over each "piece" of your "drum kit". Then it's as easy as turning the volume up or down on the hi-hat track or using a Velocity "effect" (adjustment really) on the track.

If you're wondering how to multi-select notes in the piano roll and then somehow adjust all their properties at once, I don't know of a way to do that. If there is, I'd be interested in hearing it too.

HTH :)
-Jeff

You sure can. Search using event filters. Edit menu > Select > By filter. It's a big, intimidating dialog box that basically gives you control over which attributes of notes that you want to find and change. For example, you can select all notes with a specific pitch, or all notes within a range of a few pitches; or all notes that have a MIDI velocity between 0-24; and more or less anything you can imagine.

I've tried to find the notes but I can't seem to select & edit them all. Could you please walk me through this? It's my first time working with MIDI.

Last edited:
Here's some example...

1. Select the clip on Track View.
2. Click Edit --> select --> By Filter.
3. "Event Filter - Select Some" will open. Click "None" (Lower right), then check "Note" (upper right on 'Include').
4. Limit the event you want to select by criteria, for example Min F#3 - Max F#3 for hihat.
5. Click OK to close Event Filter.
6. Click Process menu --> Scale Velocity. Set begin and end 75 percent.
7. Click OK. Make audition... playback...
8. Repeat on other notes/events as necessary...

There's three key for Hihat (regular F#3, closed G#3, and open A#3), so you might need to repeat the procedure for each key.

Reffer to page 283 on the manual...

;)
Jaymz

I have another way to do this:
1. Create the base drum pattern for a musical phrase, lets say it's 4 measures long. You will end up with 100% velocity for all notes
2. Switch from the Draw tool (d) to the Select Tool (s)
3. Draw a select box around just the hi-hat notes you want to tweak, in those 4 measures. Those notes - and only those notes - should be highlighted when you're done
4. Go to the Velocity setting in the MIDI toolbar, and change it to, say 75%
5. Play it (space_bar) and see if you like it. If not, the hi-hat notes should still be selected, just change it to 65%, etc...
6. Tweak the velocity of the other drum parts until you're happy with the phrase
NOW:
7. Copy the phrase over 4, 8, 16, 32, etc., times, until you've filled out that section of the song. All your velocity customizations will copied along with it ;)
8. Manually make the phrase or section-specific customizations required, e.g. put in drum fills and the end of phrases, and transitions at the end of sections

This works well for me and saves time, as I can keep one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse - no hunting and pecking in menus or dialog boxes...

Gosh, manifold, that sounds hellishly more tedious than picking a few parameters in the filters dialog box...

Tedium

Ya know - You're right, for changing things after that fact.
But for building exactly what you want as you go along, this works beautifully...

Back