Using iPad as MIDI instrument from Windows based DAW Presonus Studio One.

I have a Audiobox, it works on PC and Linux, couldn't say on the iPad, but there is a good bet it would. I am 99.9% sure it won't hook up to both at the same time. However, you might be able to pass through the MIDI from the Audiobox, MIDI out to the PC via USB. The Audiobox has a MIDI out, but I don't know if it will pass the MIDI via USB to MIDI out. But if you have it, it is worth a try. But you will need a DIN to USB cable.
Thanks @DM60 for the insight. I believe I’ve principally understood what needs to be done. I will try out and revert.

Seems to me we can all be better than this.

New members join and ask seemingly odd questions all the time. If you are even modestly more experienced, it really is our responsibility to try to be helpful if posting on a thread.

For the new and less experienced members, I get that sometimes a beginner can lack clarity in their questions. Happy to give advice freely but understand that free knowledge given, still will require effort and time on your part before you can turn it into experience and skill.

To the OP, I look forward to hearing about how you make out. Curious if the 4i4 midi works or not. I suspect the MIDI I/O is not class compliant but I'd love to be wrong.

Seems to me we can all be better than this.

New members join and ask seemingly odd questions all the time. If you are even modestly more experienced, it really is our responsibility to try to be helpful if posting on a thread.

For the new and less experienced members, I get that sometimes a beginner can lack clarity in their questions. Happy to give advice freely but understand that free knowledge given, still will require effort and time on your part before you can turn it into experience and skill.

To the OP, I look forward to hearing about how you make out. Curious if the 4i4 midi works or not. I suspect the MIDI I/O is not class compliant but I'd love to be wrong.
100% agree. Great post. I have no hostility towards the OP. It just looked like answers were being followed by more questions before the answers were even put to the test. Anyway, your post says it all and, speaking for myself, a better effort will be made.

New folk to the audio world now are suffering from the education system that is overly protective. At school in the 70s, the kids like me were competing for who could make the best electric shock machine. We linked hands and then the two ends of the line touched the final student usually on the ears, and the spark went from fingers to ears with a crack! My best one was a 10, as in ten people it could travel through and shock. My friend had a 15! We pinged mercury across the desks, we did aluminium casting in the workshop, and used lathes. In chemistry we produced noxious substances and made quite explosive mixtures. In physics we did brilliant experiments. Some hurt quite badly. We learned this way, and with a few exceptions, nobody got hurt. At home, we tried this. My favourite was things with relays. Many things were very live inside, and the feel of a real shock is very different to tingles. My sons however, had none of this. School was safe ……… and very boring! My old Ferrograph reel to reel had inputs. All on ¼” connectors. Mic, line and 600Ohm. You soon realised my experiment that loud stuff went in the right ones. Connecting two wires to a radiogram speaker was too much for the mic input, but the line inout down low worked great!

Nowadays, and on this forum often, people ask questions and later we discover they already have the kit. Somebody says they've bought a vintage polysynth and asks about if the output is too much for a certain bit of kit? We say that that interface is ok, but only has an instrument level input, but should be fine. Somebody else suggests a different interface and off we go. Then, we find out they have the synth, the interface and the cable. What they didn't have was the courage to plug it up and try it! I just dont get it. School science should be good enough to understand the basic.

New folk to the audio world now are suffering from the education system that is overly protective. At school in the 70s, the kids like me were competing for who could make the best electric shock machine. We linked hands and then the two ends of the line touched the final student usually on the ears, and the spark went from fingers to ears with a crack! My best one was a 10, as in ten people it could travel through and shock. My friend had a 15! We pinged mercury across the desks, we did aluminium casting in the workshop, and used lathes. In chemistry we produced noxious substances and made quite explosive mixtures. In physics we did brilliant experiments. Some hurt quite badly. We learned this way, and with a few exceptions, nobody got hurt. At home, we tried this. My favourite was things with relays. Many things were very live inside, and the feel of a real shock is very different to tingles. My sons however, had none of this. School was safe ……… and very boring! My old Ferrograph reel to reel had inputs. All on ¼” connectors. Mic, line and 600Ohm. You soon realised my experiment that loud stuff went in the right ones. Connecting two wires to a radiogram speaker was too much for the mic input, but the line inout down low worked great!

Nowadays, and on this forum often, people ask questions and later we discover they already have the kit. Somebody says they've bought a vintage polysynth and asks about if the output is too much for a certain bit of kit? We say that that interface is ok, but only has an instrument level input, but should be fine. Somebody else suggests a different interface and off we go. Then, we find out they have the synth, the interface and the cable. What they didn't have was the courage to plug it up and try it! I just dont get it. School science should be good enough to understand the basic.
Sounds like we had very similar upbringings. I went to a middle school that had an industrial arts wing that included metal and wood shops along with mechanical drawing. Still can't believe I did sand casting at that age.

Some of the science classes I had were transformative. Simple mechanics laid out a map of how everything mechanical worked. The most important thing I learned is no matter how complicated any system is, it can be broken down into smaller and even smaller bits to be understood. Electronics and recording audio started just a few short years later.

I encouraged my son to similarly explore as he had interest in physics. He took an applied physics class that covered mechanics and even internal combustion engines. He came out with understanding but still to this day, no interest in hands on types of work.

I've tidied this thread up a bit - it got a bit heated, so the pointless posts I zapped. Went a bit too far.
Sorry Sirs for my outburst, and sorry for the long gap in responding. Just came out of a bout of dengue fever.

Meanwhile, as I had in a separate post mentioned about a multi computer setup that I am trying to achieve, I forgot to mention that the Focusrite was already earmarked for my second computer, on which I would be running NI Komplete.

Accordingly, I decided to save the trouble and ordered an IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo I/O which should do the job with the iPad. I have planned to interface the iPad to this computer, which I would be using purely as an instrument / soft synth and sampler.

Actually I have been posting on different subjects under different heads, all related to my complex setup, hence there could be mismatches in what I write in one and condradicting myself in another.

Just one example: At the current moment, I am struggling to make myself believe that my beloved E-MU 1212M PCI would still work on Windows 10 on my third PC, and if it did, I could connect my Behringer ADA8000 to its ADAT port so that I can get 16 channels at 24/48.

I again apologise for my words. And thanks to Rob and Folkcafe for your nice words.

Regards

Back