Using external effects with VF-16?

Tim Madorma

Hi,

I have a question regarding the use of external effects with the VF-16. I see that the VF-16 has two aux sends, but I don't see any aux returns. This makes me think that you can send a signal from one or more tracks out to an effects processor, but not have the processed signal return and be added into the mix.

The only thing that I have been able to do is it to send a dry track (or tracks) out of the aux1 or aux2 to the input of a processor and then have the output of the processor come back into a 1/4 input of another track. Then I perform direct recording on the track that the 1/4 cable is plugged into. So now I have a track that has been externally processed written to the hard-drive. This works fine, but I would rather not have to record a "processed" track - it would be better to just have an aux returns on the VF-16 so the auxillary effects could be utilized just like the internal effects.

Please let me know if what I am saying is accurate. Is there any other way to use external effects?

Still love my VF-16. I am impressed with the quality. If interested, you can check out a couple of my recordings at www.mp3.com/blindingsky

VF16 external effects

You are pretty much on target. You need to “re-record” tracks and place them on a free track via one of the 1/4” inputs. The only other way is to record the effect up front during tracking.

External effects on the VF16(0)

The lack of aux return or stereo sub in is not just a problem for effects returns - if you have midi sound modules/synths sync'd to the VF they need an input to the VF.
The problem however only occurs if you are using all 16 tracks, if you can free up 2 tracks you can use the inputs as your aux return or stereo in. I do this using a small mixer to sub-mix the returns from 2 reverbs with the outputs of a synth and a drum machine.
Using this method I mix the effects returns 'live' when I mix down to stereo, I don't record the effects output to a vf16 track.

Got feedback from Fostex

Hi,

Here is an additional clarification from Fostex - a nice description:

Since there is no dedicated AUX RTN INPUTS, You need to use regular input channels (A-H) as AUX RETURN Inputs.

For example if you are using Input A and B as Aux Return at the mix down;

Press INPUT SEL key and select A and B, assign them as INPUT as opposed to TRK.
Now TRIM control and Channel Fader of channel A and B work as AUX RETURN level control.
Also Adjust PAN controls of A to hard Left and B to hard Right for stereo effect return.

Note 1: The above example, you loose track 9 and 10 for recording or playback.

Note 2: If you want to use AUX 1 and 2, you need an INSERT cable indicated in the Owner’s manual.

If you need AUX 1 SEND only, you can use a mono cable instead.

Back