Using db-audioware plug-ins with Cakewalk

robn

A Muse Zen
Hey all,

I recently downloaded the DirectX plug-in suite from db-audioware....was messing with the de-esser and ran into a problem/question....mainly "how do I use it"?? The instructions say this:

First, you tune the detect circuit to pick up the sibilant element of the vocal. You are aiming to get the red detect meter registering a high signal only during the sibilant passages.

Do you use the "audition" Cakewalk feature to move the meter? The meter doesn't do anything when I try it on a audio track....sorry this is such a newbie question, but I usually don't use a de-esser (hardware or software) ....I use a pop filter, careful mic positioning, and try to be merciful with the consonants...

I downloaded the demos....anybody have any opinions on db-audioware? Worth buying?

db audioware rules

I purchased the db-audioware suite, I find their multi-band compressor works great for me on guitars, drums, and other stuff. The mastering limiter is also very nice.

Usually I just add the effect to a mixing channel like any other real-time effect. Then, I play the audio track while having the effect dialogue window open to preview and adjust the results.

Heinz,

OK, so that's a two-thumbs-up for db-audioware.....I'm still debating about it...if I can just figure out this de-esser I'll probably order it....do you use the de-esser, and if so, can you give me "cookbook" instructions?

I concur with heinz, the db audioware stuff is excellent. I've only used the de-esser with the presets, though; sorry I can't be more helpful.

cook book

robn,

I have not used de-esser extensively but based on what I'm reading you would:

1) Start with vocal track in Cw/Pa9 or Sonar
2) Go to mixing console and right click in the black space at the top of the corresponding mixer channel, right under the name of the channel/track
3) select the db-audioware 'de-esser' effect to add it to the channel
4) double-click the db effect name in the black space
5) this opens the effect dialogue panel
6) with the panel open, begin playback of your track
7) try the presets, or tune the effect controls so that the red silibant peaks occur during the "s" parts of the vocal
8) exit the plug-in by clicking on the X to accept the changes

hope this helps

Thanks heinz and AlChuck,

I figured it out....I was pulling up an audio track in Track View and then doing the "Audition" and the Detect meter was not moving. I tried it in Console View (thanks heinz) and it works like a champ....man, do I feel a little silly....

Thanks again guys !!!

Back