Using computer solely for guitar effects? Latency?

I think this is a good option, but if there's a conversion to/from digital, there's some latency. Since it's designed specifically for one purpose, the latency is probably lower than standing an extra couple of feet from a speaker.
There is no conversion. The PODxt is simply a device in-line with analog ins and outs. It has a usb port for updates and all, but it's all analog in and out.

There is no conversion. The PODxt is simply a device in-line with analog ins and outs. It has a usb port for updates and all, but it's all analog in and out.
To clarify further, while there is analog inputs and outputs, all the processing such as modelling and effects are done in the digital realm. This means the analog input is converted to digital, processed through all the various effects and such, then converted back to analog. Latency will depend on the speed of the the converter and processor. DSP's chips have gotten really fast but even so, there is still latency.

Going straight to interface from guitars and mics, my Reaper shows 5.8/27ms and I can't hear or "feel" the slightest bit of latency.

Around 1985.. a buddy I jammed with weekly got a Casio MG-510 MIDI guitar .. now that had big time latency.

Back