Using computer as effects box?

curtiswyant

I think this is how I'm going to record my next album. I have a Tascam 388 8-track reel to reel/mixer, a Delta 1010, a bunch of plugs and no outboard except an RNC. Instead of tracking to tape, then dumping into digital for editing/mixing, I'm considering tracking/bouncing/mixing all analog and using the Delta 1010's 8in/outs for an effects bus. Chainer will work as a standalone fx box...but I don't think DX effects would work right? Any thoughts, experience?

I think the whole idea of keeping it all in the analog domain is kind of ruined by all tha A/D//D/A conversion going on in and out of your computer. You'll actually wind up with more digital artifacting from your converters than you would by just going through them once by dumping down to the computer and mixing in there.

G.

surely if you are dumping from analog into a digital domain you keep the analog sound you are after & have total editing control AND don't have run your tapes back & forth all the time

Oh yeah & latency is a problem, MOTU do a fancily numbered quite expensive solution that I saw in use with a cubase setup along with analog gear & it was very effective

& also there is a lot of (as was said by SsGlen) convertions & artifacting happening

analog is fun I've got a revox B77 1/2 track for some mastering experiments that I was put onto by a chap who post masters for manafacture

keep it real
Slidey

Back