Using Audacity to edit recorded peaking

iwantmypie

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to using wave editors and the one I am currently using is Audacity, which I've heard many good things about. My question is can you use a program like this to edit digital peaking on a wave file? I was looking at some old demos I've made in the past that I never got around to rerecording the vocals to fix the problem. Now I record vocals with slight compression to help the vocals (and a singer who can control his voice) and I do not have the problem anymore.

Anyways is it possible to save a wav like this and get rid of those peaks?

Thank you

Hey pie,

It's not called a "WAV editor" for nothing. ;)

I don't know what extra tools like compressors or limiters Audacity may come with, if any, but at the very least you should be able to highlight the offending peaks and then select a volume tool to knock the peaks down.

Take a look at the help file to see exactly how to do that in Audacity, but it should be pretty a simple mouse drag across the peak(s) and then selecting "volume" or "gain" from a pull-down menu somehwere, or something very similar to that.

While you're in the help, look for anything related to "compressor" or "limiter". If it comes with either of those, using them would be even less labor intensive (though you'd have to read up on just how they work if you're not familiar with those kinds of tools already.)

HTH,

G.

are the wav files actualy clipped? If you zoom in and see big flat tops on the wave form it's clipped at the recording stage. I'm not sure there's a great deal you can do about that. Compressing a clipped wav will still sound like a clipped wav......only with compression added :confused:

Thank you G. I will have to try that when I get a chance

The wav is actually clipped. Just one big mess.

hey pie ...

very cool using audacity. i've been using it four or five weeks now. i ditched cakewalk and magix. audacity rocks. though it has far less tools. which may be a good thing!

anyway, i've got the same clipping thing going on. and as they say, once clipped, it's on the floor. i'm just learning myself and trying to find tutorials on how to manage clipping.

in the mean time, see ya in the movies ...

ambrose

audacity has a couple of dozen 'effects' that come bundled and it also allows you to add plugins. I'm using linux, you're probably using windows, and I think plugins vary between operating systems. I have about 150+ extra open source plug-ins, including one called a 'declipper' http://www.plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#id1195

There is also an envelope editor packaged with audacity. If you pick the tool with the double arrow icon <--> you can control loudness by drawing lines on the waveform that limit the peaks.

What I immediately thought of were some short pop-like peaks I've gotten before on some soundboard recordings... Knocking them down would probably solve most of the problem...

my version of audacity has a limiter, compressor and noise removal. I'd try those. Be sure to check out audacity's site for links to plug-ins. I think through that site I found a zip file with all sorts of 'em. some are cool, some are lame. the program ain't bad for being free! I'm currently using it...

oh yeah, do a google for plug-in and BJ. some dude with those initials made a bunch of decent ones. i quickly found this one: http://www.audiomelody.com/index.php?/melodic/downloads/plug_ins/bj_plug_in_pack

Back