Using ART tube preamp to record bass?

Tele The Truth

I've heard it said here before the the ART tube preamps work great as DIs for recording bass. Well, I borowed a bass from a friend and want to put down some tracks with it. What is the best was to record with this?

Do I run the bass straight into the preamp and eq it on the board, or do I send it through my pa head (sorry, I have no bass amp) and use the line out to take it to the preamp?

Thanks!
:)

Just remember...

That your output signal from the ART preamp will be a line level signal. If your recording interface has preamps installed, it would be wise to bypass them with the goal of keeping your noise floor down for your track.

Jay

I used to use a Bass into and ART TPS into a compressor (a behringer, ultracompro or something, no Im not being funny) and it sounded great.

Thanks for the tips guys. I recorded my bass track using my ART Tubepac. I used the compressor on the unit to help smooth out the overall track and keep it from spiking too much. Overall, it was very easy and sounded pretty good, considering that the sound quality of the bass I borrowed was sketchy at best. I'm ready to start a mixdown, so I'll most likely put a hint of reverb on it, tweek the eq some and call it done.
:)

Back