Using Analog gear with DAW's (pro tools)

thomas2smith

I have figured out a way to very inexpensively control individual DAW tracks with vintage/analog mixers. I have been trying to figure out a way to use hardware to mix down my software songs without shelling out $1000+ on a dedicated DAW controller. My setup(explained below) cost me a total of about $350.

I first purchased a Tascam m-208 for about $150 shipped on eBay which is a very nice sounding solid 8-channel mixer, very similar to the Tascam 308 and 388. I then purchased a Tascam us16x08($200) interface that has 8 mic pre in's, 8 line in's and 8 trs line outs. It is just like any other interface but with a substantial amount of in's and outs. I used a 8 cable 1/4" snake from the line outs on the us16x08 into the line in's on the m-208. In Pro Tools I would select each audio channels output to be one of the 8 outputs going into the mixer, therefore allowing me to have each of my tracks controllable on the mixer. I then take the main outputs from the mixer and send them into my tape recorder or any other recording device.

This setup can be done with almost any mixer but it might be harder to find an interface with the 8 out's nearly as cheap as the us16x08.

I will include some images of the setup/wiring later, any questions feel free to ask.:thumbs up:

That's pretty much how most studios that still have mixers operate. That's how my last studio was hooked up, 32 line outs to the line inputs of my 32 channel board...

Your biggest issue will be when you outgrow 8 tracks. The other downside will be when you start getting plugins that sound better and do a better job than the Tascam mixer that you bought. For basically the same price as that small mixer you bought, you could have gotten an SSL channel strip, which has much better EQ plus compression and gates...oh, and you can use it on as many tracks as your computer can handle.

I was using a hybrid system like that for a couple years, as I was transitioning from tape to DAW. As nifty as it is to twist knobs, the hassle and expense of maintaining racks full of compressors and effects processors and documenting all the settings and routing of them (for client recalls) made it not worth it.

Back