Using a windscreen for a condensor mic

coolerguy

I have an mxl 990 condensor mic, and don't have a pop filter. So I decided to put a windscreen over the mic, 'cause i heard without a pop filter it could damage a condensor mic. I was wonder will using a windscreen help prevent from damaging the mic? I'm getting a pop filter in two weeks, but want to record some tracks before then.

Thanks in advance.

You should be fine. Just check the manual for the mic's max SPL, and don't exceed that with or without a pop filter.

Grab a pair of grannys panty hose and wrap 'em around a hanger. Better sound and will keep the spit off the mic

Damage most unlikely . . .

coolerguy said:
"i heard without a pop filter it could damage a condensor mic."
High sound levels won't damage a condenser mic. The worst that could happen is that the diaphragm might contact the backplate and make a rude noise. (Ribbon mics, however, are a very different matter!)
lucky13 said:
"Just check the manual for the mic's max SPL, and don't exceed that"
The specification for max SPL is simply the point beyond which distortion increases - no other danger!
Big Kenny said:
"keep the spit off the mic"
This is the heart of the matter. Using a windscreen or pop filter will prevent breath and condensation (and spit!) from reaching the mic innards when close micing vocals or speech. They will also prevent "popping" sounds caused by "explosives" in speech or singing, i.e. the "b" and "p" sounds.

If it's a wind screen that fits over the mic capsule like a sock it will have an impact on the sound. I pop screen is a much better & more sonically transparent option & yes, a pair of hose or tights as recommended by Big Kenny stretched over a metal hanger & bent about then taped to your mic stand are a good substitute.

i would try to stay away from foam windscreens whenever possible...a highly reputable microphone expert mentioned on some other message board a while back that the foam begins to degrade with age, and little bits will begin to penetrate the microphone and clog up the capsule

get yourself a cheap-o pop filter online somewhere for like $10...it'll suit you much better!

Back