Using a preamp as A/D only.

flanneljammies

The ART DPS apparently can be used as an A/D only by putting the output of another preamp into the insert channel. This apparently bypasses all preamp circuitry in the ART and goes directly to the A/D.

Does anyone know if I can do the same thing with the dbx 386? The specs say that the ART's insert is wired backwards to allow for such a thing. I haven't been able to find any documentation about whether I can use the dbx as a A/D only.

The inserts on a 386 are after the toob drive section and before the output section.

I realize that the inserts are just before the A/D. What I want to do is use the DMP3's pres but take advantage of the DBX's A/D.

My question is, can I do this?

mic --> DMP3 pre
DMP3 analog out --> DBX insert
DBX SPDIF out --> Audiophile 2496 SPDIF in

Check out the ART Di/o. All it is is a two channel D/A, A/D converter. It has a tube preamp in it as well, but if you keep the level dialled to "nothing", it effectively acts as a transparent A/D converter.

I imagine the reason you are doing this is to take advantage of the extra 2 in/out that the Audiophile has for S/PDIF.

OK, here's the deal. I need to be able to record four tracks at once to my Audiophile 2496: 2 analog from the DMP3 and 2 digital from a yet-to-be-purchased preamp with SPDIF out. After that, I'll be overdubbing one or two tracks at a time. I'd like to use the good pres on the DMP3 but I'd rather not use the A/Ds on the 2496 because they're inside the computer and because the A/Ds on either an ART DPS or DBX 386 are probablly better.

I would still recommend the ART Di/o. It is not a preamp, but the cost of two DMP-3s and an ART Di/o is considerably less than a DMP3 and a ART DMPA, unless the flavour of the DMPA pre is what you are specifically after. The Di/o is only $149 at 8th street.

I second the ART DI/O for your purposes. If you want to use the DMP3, then there's no point in spending more money on the preamps that come with the 386 or any other system you would consider, since you want to bypass them anyway. All you need is a pair of converters for the DMP3.

I would suspect that the converters in the ART DI/O are very similar if not identical to whatever is in the ART DMPA.

It really seems like a waste of money to buy a preamp and then buy another preamp with AD converters. Also, I personally would assume that the 386 would probably be a similar or better preamp than the DMP3 anyway, and it comes with the converters built in. Why not just use that and skip the insert thing? At this price level they are all going to be approximately the same quality anyway, it's all just sideways moves until you spend some real bucks on preamps and converters. So just get what's convenient and offers the features you need without having to jump through hoops.

No one gets what I'm trying to do...
I need to have TWO stereo preamps so I can record four channels at once (bass and drums). One is my DMP3 and the other one will have an SPDIF out. Then, I want to use the gear I have to record single-track overdubs. The thing I'm trying to do is to then use the good pre (DMP3) and the good A/D (ART DPS or DBX 386). It's not a matter of buying one or the other. I will have both preamps, but want to use the best features of each. Why doesn't this make sense to anyone?

It makes sense, and I think we all get it.

What I was questioning is whether or not it is the ART DMPA pres that you are really after, because if you like those pres, then great, your choice sounds great.

BUT if you are only thinking of the DMPA because you want to have 2 more pres plus having A/D D/A conversion, it would be cheaper to buy another DMP3 plus an ART Di/o (8th street prices, $199 for DMP3 plus $149 for Di/o versus $565 for the DMPA). That saves you more than $200. But if it is the preamps of the DMPA that you are after, then go for it.

Additionally to confuse matters even more, instead of the Di/o, think about the TC Electronics M300: it is a two-channel multi-effects unit plus reverb with S/PDIF conversion (AD and DA) and you can completely bypass the effects and use it only as a converter. $199.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't think that the AD/DA conversion in the Di/o is going to be subpar to the DMPA.

Well actually I was talking about the ART DPS, not the DMPA. It's a moot point now because I just picked one up brand new for $180 on ebay last night. So I'm committed. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Yo flannel!- Your projected signal chain is needlessly complex, and the flaw in your thinking is this- A DBX386 is at least as good a preamp as a DMP-3. It produces a little less gain, but is clean as hell. Plugging a DMP-3 into a DBX386 is like plugging a Honda Civic into a Mitsubishi Eclipse! I own both of these preamps, and the DMP-3 simply is not a better preamp than a DBX 386, in fact, I would say just the opposite. Just run the overdub through either preamp that sounds good to you. I also doubt that the A-D conversion in the DBX is significantly better or worse than the 2496. -Richie

Back