Using a homestereo amp with Tannoy reveal speakers

Riku

Ok

I have a quite good YAMAHA hifi stereoamp at home. I was thinking I could use It for while with the Tannoy Reveals it gives about 35W per channel / 8 Ohm (I think). And then in a future the next step would be to buy a proper power amp. (If it's needed)
Tannoy reveals are 50W / 8 Ohm

My friend tells that, sure you can use the yamaha amp but I would like to have an other opinion. I know that it's easier to blow up speakers with a smaller amp, but still would this kind of setup work? I'm not planing to wake up the city, and I know the yamaha has enough power for my volume use.

thanks Riku

Riku said:
I know that it's easier to blow up speakers with a smaller amp,
Isn't it the other way round? :)

Well THEORETICALLY you could use the yamaha to drive the Tannoys, but be sure to set all the treble/bass settings to 0 and disable any bass boost/megabass/uh-oh settings so you won't color the monitors or they will be kind of pointless.

Keijo

Should work, but...
Just remember, distortion kills. Low power amp at high volume=distortion=blown speakers.

The other problem is that it may not be 'flat'. Many home stereo receivers/amps will 'color' the sound. If it has EQ's (commonly low, mid, high knobs on home stereos) set them all flat. Make sure the "Loudness" or "Bass Boost" or the like is disabled.

Get a real amp ASAP, before your ears "learn" this one.

Queue

thanks guys... I think I'll try it.

I'm aware of that eq-thing that's why the Yamaha is natural sound series:D ...

And yes Warlock I've been told that it is easier to wreck your speakers with low power amp. It's bad for the speakers they say...

How are things in Estonia? I'm in rainy Hellsinkill and going to order those speakers in near future and get into... yes: homerecording...

:p

Riku said:
How are things in Estonia? I'm in rainy Hellsinkill and going to order those speakers in near future and get into... yes: homerecording...
Things are Ok I quess. Could be better, but that goes for everyone I quess :).

Keijo

Yes you learn something every day. I knew that the amp would start to distort on high loads, but I didn't know it could damage the speakers.

Keijo

So the risk on blowing or damaging your speakers is only when trying to drive them with a low power amp on HIGH volume ?

Is it still safe to use a lower power amp on LOW volume ?

I just can't give up the combination on amp and speakers I currently use ...

Specifications:

Kenwood 35W per channel
Mission 702 , 25-150W

Home Stereo Amps

I use an old pioneer reciever 180w and the cerwin vega speakers that came with it. They sound great...

Like others already have said don't push the amp too hard...It would probably sound good.

Gidman

Gilwe

Ive got thosesame mission 70 series speakers on my surround system in my living room. Can you get a good mix on them? I bought mine at a garage sale this summer from a kid who wanted 10.00 for them and then beat him down to 5.00us.

I checked them out at the website and they went for 350.00 retail , not bad.

For the other issue Im using a 400w amp to drive my monitor ones and Im getting no distortion and great detail even though my Monitor ones are only rated for 200watts.

Maaaaaaannnnnnnnn

Darrin,
You know how to beat a kid ouy of 5 bucks...oh yeah they were stolen from me about a year ago...thanks man for holding them for me...here is my address...he he he

Don't push em' too hard with the 400w amp...not much more than half volume...you lucky sucker...
I found the pioneer reciever, cerwin vega spkrs, cassette recorder, and (yes there are this old) a turn table, for $200 bucks at a pawn shop. I was most impressed with the speakers...I think the cones are made out of kevlar...

Gidman

the inevitable "BUT".

It's true that a higher power amps help avoid clipping distortion at higher volume levels, but they are not necessarily better at normal levels.

There are other kinds of distortion which amps can produce when driving the complex load of a loudspeaker - most egregious are 3rd harmonic and intermodulaton distortion. These are not necessarily physically destructive, but they definitely adversely affect your sound. 35 Watts is more than adequate power for near field monitoring. If the amplifier has high instantaneous current capacity and broad amplitude linear gain, it may very well outperform a higher power, inferiorly designed amp.

Give me a 60W Bryston 2B-LP over a 400W QSC MX1500 any day.

barefoot

Maaaaannnnnnn

barefoot said:
It's true that a higher power amps help avoid clipping distortion at higher volume levels, but they are not necessarily better at normal levels.

There are other kinds of distortion which amps can produce when driving the complex load of a loudspeaker - most egregious are 3rd harmonic and intermodulaton distortion. These are not necessarily physically destructive, but they definitely adversely affect your sound. 35 Watts is more than adequate power for near field monitoring. If the amplifier has high instantaneous current capacity and broad amplitude linear gain, it may very well outperform a higher power, inferiorly designed amp.

Give me a 60W Bryston 2B-LP over a 400W QSC MX1500 any day.

You know some stuff :p
Don't ya just love this place?

Love ya! Mean it!:cool:

Gidman

Last edited:
I have a low powered Class A amp I use for another system. But my phase linear is the same model Alan Parsons uses for a reference amp so I belive Ill stick with that.

thanks guys, this is what I was hoping for;)

and what my friend was telling me earlier... so 10 points for him.

as a quick note.....

the Tannoy's have a really odd Nominal Impedance they actually run best at 6 ohms

but I have a set myself, and I love em, so don't let the 6 ohm thing bother ya

Sabith

My two cents

I love Yamaha stereo amps. I'm running a A-700 Natural Sound with a pair of Morel 403's for my studio. I'm no pro, and I really have nothing to compare this with except for other home stereos, but I'm happy with it so far. The proof will manifest itself when I actually put some of my music out there.

Back