Using a Fostex 4030 with DAW?

MauiSnowStudios

Hello! I have been looking into syncing up my tape machine with my DAW and would like to have the DAW be the master if possible. I was looking into getting a MOTU digital timepiece to connect to my computer, then connect the smpte output of that into a Fostex 4030 master code in. Then set up the tape machine into the slave transport and code in on the 4030.

My main question is does anyone know if the 4030 requires a master transport cable to be connected? It seems it wouldn’t really be needed in this setup but not sure if it would all work without it. Trying not to spend more than I did on my reel just to sync. Any other options or help would be appreciated as this is my first time venturing into synchronizing. Thanks so much!

There might be a way to do this, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. The Fostex 4030 is an old machine and probably doesn't have the best sync accuracy. You might be better off finding a newer tape machine that has better sync capabilities.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Thanks for the response! It seems like the microlynx is one of the best one I can get for a decent price. I’ll keep my eye out for one of those as well.

I’m running an 85-16b and one reason I liked the 4030 is that it has cables available to easily hook up to the 85-16b. If anyone else has any recommendations for synchronizers that may work better, please let me know!

I also would love to hear any feedback from those that may use (or have used) a 4030 or even a 4050. Thanks again in advance for any assistance!

I don't think Jason has the faintest idea what a Fostex 4030 is - he's just here to spam his links.

If you use Reaper then you don't need the Digital Timepiece - Reaper can read, generate and output SMPTE code from one of your audio interface outputs. The only reason for using a DTP would be to make use of its word clock facilities if you were using long digital audio segments with the DAW as a slave. However, if the DAW was the master this wouldn't be needed.

Unfortunately I've not used a 4030 (though I have used a 4050 and a DTP) so I don't know if it will work with no controller plugged in. I'd suggest checking the manual although, if it is anything like the 4050 manual, it will be hard going. Personally I'd just use Reaper as a slave to the tape machine which would mean that no additional hardware was needed.

I use Logic for production. I believe I would still need the digital timepiece for use with logic from what I can tell. I found an old SOS article from 1986 that refers to the 4030 running from a time code only so I’m thinking it may just work. Here is that link for anyone else that may be curious in the future as it had some other good info in the full review:

I think I might start with a MOTU digital timepiece and run logic as a slave to see how that works out. Can always add the 4030 or another synchronizer if needed to the setup to switch DAW to master. It seems many recommend using the DAW as master simply because it is most consistent rather than having the capstan regulate speeds (which seems like a good idea). Lately I’ve been starting to record tracks to tape, then bounce it to DAW in 96k both so I can add more overdubs and also it is nice to reuse tape instead spending $400 for every 30 min of recording. Lol. Then I can run it from my DAW to my console for final mixes with extra overdubs included.

Any other input on the 4030 or other aspects of this setup would be appreciated!

If you are just bouncing tracks to the DAW when you have finished recording them then do you need a synchroniser at all? All the tape tracks will be in sync with each other and you can just dump them all to computer at the same time. You only need a synchroniser if you are working with both tape tracks and DAW tracks or MIDI at the same time. With digital audio you really want to keep your analogue to digital convertor as the master clock rather than have it sync to a varying tape speed (it is actually quite interesting to watch the sample rate change as the DTP follows the tape speed) so it is best not to use the DTP's word clock if possible.

There are times when I run something recorded digitally to tape and back which is where I have encountered issues. Yea the sample rate change is what I was trying to avoid which is why I was thinking of adding the 4030 to control tape machine from conversion the MOTU timepiece puts out. Basically this should enable me to use the DAW as master and slave the reel to it for those situations.

Yes, it looks like you will need a synchroniser to do what you want. The DTP seems like overkill when all you need is an MTC to SMPTE convertor but I remember having a conversation with Bob Katz a few months ago on this subject and it looks like there aren't any simple MTC to SMPTE convertors around (unless you do something like running Reaper on an embedded system like a Raspberry Pi). I've just checked the manual for the 4030 and page 13 says that it will work without the 4035 controller. The 4030 and 4050 were designed in the days before MTC came along.

If all you're doing is bouncing off tape, you could do it in real time by recording the output of the repro head back to the DAW while recording from the DAW to tape. It will be slightly time shifted, but always a consistent amount for a given tape speed.

Back