Using a DI box to record bass - where do I put compression?

cfg

I want to record bass. I'd like to use my new BAE 1073 preamp's DI, and perhaps gain it up in the DAW with an Amplitube bass plug in, but I'm wondering where I would put an outboard compressor in this situation, if I was to use one. Would it go between the bass and the BAE, or between the BAE and the interface?

Personaly, I'd save compression for after the fact. It's like carpentry. It's easy to cut it off, it's a mother fucker putting it back on. And I have 1073's by the way.

You would put it between the preamp and the interface. If you plug the bass right into the compressor, the gain staging may not be optimal.

I have not used a pre amp on bass very often but I usually go straight from a DI into a DBX and straight from there into my interface. Compression before or after really depends on what you are trying for, so I would record it both ways and you will learn what you like best and what is useful in each case

General use compressor or pedal?

In my regular gig at my friend's studio, he's got a compressor pedal. From there it goes to a DI, with the XLR to the console and DAW, and the 1/4" continuing on to the rest of the pedal board, which ends at a SansAmp and a second feed to the console. That channel has a compressor patched to its insert, which then goes to to the DAW. Then I put compressors on both bass channels in the DAW.

Last edited:
Back