Using a DAT?

BrettB

Hi all,

I did some homerecordings and also soem studio recordings and when come to think of it: I didn't use a DAT in a single one of all those projects, although there was one available in several cases.

So maybe you guys can give me some guidelines?

When is it usefull to record your mix or master on a DAT instead of bounving them on your hard diss or Cd as data?

Any specific tips if you are new to using DAT tapes? Any good advice?

I used to make back ups of 16 bit masters on DAT and CD but haven't been doing the DATs for a while. Lately the only use the DAT has had is recording open mic jams live to 2 tracks with a Jecklin disc set up.

Dat is from yesteryear. Before everyone had computers, you mixed to dat. Now you just mix to the computer and make CD's. 10 years ago CD burners were expensive and didn't work very reliably. Blank discs were $20 a piece.

I record to pc but mix through an analog board. My soundcard is not set up to record the mix back into the pc, so I mix to DAT. I could mix to my ADAT, but I don't because a) I'd rather save wear and tear on the ADAT heads, b) the DAT is portable so I can move it around to see the meters, c) I can keep my ADAT tape and DAT tape separate, and d) I spent a lot on a machine that is pretty much obsolete and I might as well work it to get my money's worth.

I also find it useful for recording samples and digitizing radio shows from other mediums throughout the house, like other pc's and dvd players, uploading the recordings to my audio pc via s/pdif.

Farview said:
Dat is from yesteryear.
I very much second that opinion. DAT's are little fussy things that I wrestled with out of sheer necessity for too long. Rejoice in the cheap, easily availble CD burner era and leave the DAT's in the past.

If it makes anyone feel better, I don't think I've gotten a project in on DAT in 2 years.

Of course, if I sold my deck, they'd come rolling in... :rolleyes:

Back