Using a condenser mic with external 48V phantom power into a line input?

Kenny202

Got a recorder I want to plug my condenser mic into the LINE input. I will be using external 48V power supply for the condenser. Just wondering does external 48V power supply boost the Condenser mic to LINE level or is it still at mic level. I know I should plug into the Mic input but I want to use the LINE input for recording vocals as it has an effects tool kit (Mic doesn't)

Why do you want to plug into a line input? If you have an external phantom power unit, it simply powers the mic, it remains at mic level (as in microvolts) and does not convert to the millivolts found in a line connection. Why kind of bizarre recorder has effects on the line input? Mics go into mic level inputs and line into line, I am afraid. You could record it properly, dry - then bring that recording back in as a line input, or if you have a little mixer, use that to get up to line level, then feed that to your interesting device?

What recorder are we talking about?

I know the Tascam DP-24/32(SD) series has inputs with each having an adjustable line/mic level "trim" knob. It also has effects at the input stage (compressor, noise gate, de-esser, exciter) along with EQ.

If you want to plug a mic into a line input, you will need an external mic preamp. The phantom power unit just turns the mic on.

Why do you want to plug into a line input? If you have an external phantom power unit, it simply powers the mic, it remains at mic level (as in microvolts) and does not convert to the millivolts found in a line connection. Why kind of bizarre recorder has effects on the line input? Mics go into mic level inputs and line into line, I am afraid. You could record it properly, dry - then bring that recording back in as a line input, or if you have a little mixer, use that to get up to line level, then feed that to your interesting device?
I know its weird but I want to use effects on my vocals. The mic input has very few EQ type effects no delays etc. The LINE input, for whatever reason has a full vocal effects set. Why I can't tell you. Maybe need to use a mic booster / pre amp thing

If you record the mic input - can that channel not then have reverb and effects applied? I take it you bought it to use live, rather than recording? I only ask as there are more useful ways to record rather than units like this one, but they're a bit rubbish for live work.

Back